ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Bjarney Offline OP
Do you use anything like a Lisle creeper seat for installing wall receptacles?

[Linked Image from lislecorp.com] http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1195

Broom Pusher and
Use either my drum seat (cranked all the way down), or my "Little Yellow School Chair" when working on outlets <24" A.F.F.

The "Little Yellow School Chair" is one of those circa 1970's plastic body w/ tubular steel legs. The one I have is probably designed for Kindergarten upto 4th Grade Elementary School students, but it works perfect when making up those low wall recepts / misc. outlets.

Dang thing is tough as nails, too! Its been through heck and back without becoming FUBAR! It has scratches and drywall mud "tagging", yet after the years of in-the-field "abuse" it has dealt with, still can be used for sitting without the fear of injury!

The best thing is, no one wants to steal it because it looks so goofy!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The drum throne (drum seat) works great for making up switches & other outlets ± 48" A.F.F. Just crank it all the way up for these outlets, and results are eye level to work when sitting.
This really, REALLY-REALLY makes things much nicer when making up 80 Gazillion wall mounted outlets!

Haven't found the optimum setup for making up floor outlets yet - other than the typical knee pads.
Maybe something in the line of a low hanging, free-standing Hammock would be an ideal option.
I can just imagine the reactions from people on a project, if I brought in a Hammock!
Need something better for endless floor box work. My knees really hurt after a few hours.

BTW: the outlets I will typically makeup include all systems - Electrical Power Receptacles (IGs, industrial covers, etc.), Lighting Switches, timers, time clocks, floor outlets, floor stubs; and low voltage systems such as Comm / Data outlets, Security / CCTV, and misc. control systems.
Mounting on walls, floors, under teller lines, P.O.C.s to ATMs and modular furniture, mounting within cabinets or lockable enclosures, and other types of fun stuff.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
P
The "Little Yellow School Chair" is one of those circa 1970's plastic body w/ tubular steel legs.

I hadn't thought about using one of those for work on low outlets, but it's sure a good idea. And you're right: Those little school chairs were tough as anything. I guess the manufacturers knew what us kids would get up to.... [Linked Image]

B
Bjarney Offline OP
A recent tv-commercial reminder was the suggestion of scooting on a skateboard to make painting floorboards easier.

N
Hello from South Dakota,

I have a 3 gallon bucket with caster rollers bolted to the bottom, and a small tool pouch screwed all the way around. Holds all your hand tools, a cordless drill, wire nuts, ground tails, and trash goes inside.
Just sit and roll from one device to the next, and save those knees for long weekends of fishing! [Linked Image]

Jon Niemeyer
S
SJT Offline
What about a 2'x2' piece of foam for the knees?
I had tried it once. Not bad. I remember years ago, a helper would actually sit down in front of each outlet, and made himself comfortable. I tried that, but then you get too relaxed, to move on to the next one.

...I got me a 2"x 3" mirror on a telescoping wand...come in handy when snaking,...it fits perfectly in a gem box hole cut-out,and you can see if there are any obstructions in the wall...

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 02-20-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
M
Went to the local Lawn/Garden store and bought one of those Green Plastic garden buggies. Has enormous wheels that wont mark floors and you can store devices under the seat. Works like a charm.

B
Bjarney Offline OP

M
bjarney... Yep. Thats the one.

Link Copied to Clipboard