ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The first of many images of the Las Vegas strip!
[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
Nice pic Joe. If your still there, I'll bet you could get a very impressive pic from the top of the stratosphere....

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
S
Hey Joe, check out the Fremont Street Experience at night, I've been re-wiring the ceiling there, which is the biggest L.E.D. sign in the world. The east end of the sign is the new section, which has over 800% higher resolution than the old section. They have shows every hour, you'll be amazed!

I was there a couple of years ago. It was a great show and with brighter lighting it will probably be a good idea for us to go tonight. I leave to go back home in the morning, so if my wife doesn't have other plans for us I will go.

Amazing here, the sign on the corner of Flamingo Boulevard and Las Vegas Boulevard is fantastic.
Do they supply the sign with primary HV power first then to lower systems voltages?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
Yes, the one I've been working on is fed with 5,000 volts to the switch gear, then transformed to 480, which is then sent to hundreds of transformers which take it down to 6 volts for the lighting modules.

I got to see the Fremont stuff on Monday night, and it's fantastic!
This thing's like being in a giant cartoon!
SparkMaster,
Congrats, this is a really neat thing for a job, and the results are great.
(Edited because I put a picture up that just couldn't do justice to this display)...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-04-2004).]

N
I worked on Treasure Island when it was built. The sign on Las Vegas Blvd. Was treated as a separate building with a separate permit. I am not positive as I didn't work on the sign itself but if I remember right it has a 12.47KV unit sub inside. [Linked Image]

S
I could be wrong about the feeder for the whole sign, I haven't worked on that part of it, but was re-wiring the entire top and replacing modules underneath, wiring 480v transformers with 120 wires in each, etc.

I think that sign is amazing, and when the whole thing is done with the new system it will look like a TV set 2,000 feet long! There will be 12,500,000 L.E.D. lights!

Link Copied to Clipboard