ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 137 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34093 02/01/04 12:20 PM
...I have a job in progress,...it's an office space, and they have 2'x4' troffer layins all throughout the offices..the voltage is 277v., and the problem is that it seems that one by one, the ballasts are dying out..they were all installed about 5 yrs ago,and they're on 6 days/week,10-12 hrs a day.I've been told that these ballasts have a "life" of around 5 yrs..and it is common that they will all die out around the same time period...The company wants a bid from me to re-ballast and re-bulb all of the lights in the space...Is this a common occurrance or could there be a spike in the line thats causing this..?? I dissected a dead ballast and found that the small glass fuse was blown..it is on a pc board,so it would be a pain in the drain to replace just the fuse...What do I do..?? I've already replaced 8 of the 90+ ballasts as they wink out..Anyone ever hear of this???
AR

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#34094 02/01/04 12:58 PM
I
Give em the price and have at it. [Linked Image]

We just replaced about 300 ballasts at a warehouse.

At the same time the fixtures where reconfigured from 2-F96T12s with a magnetic ballast to 4-F32T8s with electronic ballasts.

Orsam Sylvania provided the retrofit kits, sockets, brackets, lamps and ballasts.

Reduced energy consumption and more lumens made a happy customer.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#34095 02/01/04 03:56 PM
S
In some places electronic ballasts are notorious for failing. In others you get many years out of them.

There was a Super K-Mart near me. We did not do the store but almost as soon as it was done they began calling the contractor I was working with. We eventually told them to get corporate to order 50 ballasts just to have on hand. We would go there at least onece a month and replace 5-10.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#34096 02/01/04 05:36 PM
:
do they go up in smoke, or just die silent?
perhaps you can open one to check where the fault is, maybe you caught a bad series 5 years ago...
i thaught they would live longer.

the ones we have changed at the production plant i work at, were mostly broken solderings due to hot/cold cycling and perhaps high frequent vibrations from the circuit.
some few had blown FETs or capacitors.
and a few failed running the tube on only very low brightness and a violet touch of color.

Overall, these were very few. Out of about 600 lamps with e-ballasts, in one year we changed maybe 15 or 20.
mixed manufacters, Siemens, Osram, AEG, Philips, ...

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 02-01-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard