ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3377 08/18/01 04:50 AM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Hi everyone!!! Como Estas Frijoles? - It's bean awhile since I have talked/typed with you guys [Linked Image]
Got abducted by Aliens [Linked Image]
[well, work Aliens - not outer space hombres] . Finally got a whole weekend off once again!

Got a question to throw at you about Traffic Signal Lamps in your area:
How many Signals have been upgraded in your area to use LEDs? These are just replacements for the A type lamps - similar to a CFL with intregal Ballast [includes a medium base screwshell].

Out here in So. California, many Cities / Counties have been in the process of replacing the typical Incandescent Lamps and Color Gels which are used for Red, Yellow and Green Signals, for LED arrays.

First one I had noticed was used at an Intersection that was under construction, where the Red signal was flashing over a period of 6 months [during the 5 freeway work].
The lamp's on-off characteristics were not the way an Incandescent Lamp would act [the gradual on, decayed off of an Incandescent Lamp] - that was what captured my attention. This was mid 1996.
Checked it out and sure enough this was an array of LEDs, possibly 10mm size.

Around mid 2K [July, 2000] I started to notice a few Intersections here and there with Red LED replacements.
By the beginning of 2001, nearly all Intersections were upgraded with Red LED arrays. Soon after, the first Green ones began popping up. Only have seen 3 Intersections with all 3 colors in LED arrays - nearly all at this time still use an Incandescent for the Yellow signal.

Anyone else noticed them??? - Curious if other States are planning to use them.

Did find some info on-line regarding this, problem is that it I cannot locate that bookmark for a link. I did print the stuff, so when it turns up I'll have the URL for anyone interested.

These LED pin arrays [or matrix if you prefer], are very cool! The Color is solid [typical of LEDs] - Green is GREEN!!!, instead of Blue-Green from the Incandescent/Gel. Yellow is more like an Orange, Red is Ruby-ish, instead of Pink-Red.
They surge into conduction [surge brightly, then stablize] when new. There's no visible Reluctance going on or off - just bam on/off!!!

Some Walk Signals have been changed from the Neon / Fluorescent tubes, to LED arays.
The "Walk" symbol uses White LEDs, whereas the "Don't Walk" symbol uses either Reds or Orange-Reds [like trichips or the tri-lead LEDS].

Like to hear [more like see] your comments and input.

TIA!!!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#3378 08/18/01 05:38 AM
P
Hi Scott:

I haven't been in the States since I was working in central Nebraska in 1996, but I never saw LED signals there. Just before that I traveled pretty extensively around Ga, Ala, NC, SC and Fla, and again never saw any.

I've not seen any here in England yet either, but I was in France about two years ago, and noticed LED signals everywhere. As you said, the smart "snap" from one color to the next is what really gets the attention at first.

Many of the normal lights seem to have been converted, but it was hard to see the exact arrangement because they still appear to use a gel or lens of some kind.

Junctions with high suspended lights in France usually have a small repeater set mounted at eye-level for the driver at the front of the line. Just about all of these seem to be LEDs now, consisting of a dozen or so high-intensity LEDs arranged within a 2 to 3 in. dia. circle.

#3379 08/18/01 05:46 AM
M
Up here in Canada, I have seen a lot of traf. lights using fiber-optics, which allows servicing or lamp changes from a safe place.I assume these are fairly common, but I haven't seen the LED's yet.

#3380 08/18/01 01:33 PM
R
Haven't seen any traffic lights yet, but emergency vehicles are starting to use them for the warning lights. They can meet the NFPA warning light regulations with less strain on the battery and alternator. I've also seen some commerical truchs with led tail lights.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#3381 08/19/01 12:42 AM
R
I have installed a few of these units, all in the name of energy conservation. I changed all colors. Walk/don't walk couldn't be changed due to size.

I will get the specifi information Tuesday when I get back into my office.

One thing I have noticed. These units give off great light, but sometime the green makes it hard to see ahead of your vehicle.

PS. I only have two intersections that I have to maintain, other than these, there are 3 other sets, maintained by the State of Colorado highway dept., and these have been either changed (2 sets) or installed new (1 set) to use the new led type lamps.

I have a friend in Alamosa, Co. that won the state of Colorado contract to change all units in the state. Took about 3 months, in 1999.

Rick Miell

#3382 08/19/01 01:42 AM
N
Hey Scott,
Been looking for you in the neighboring forum too for a while. [Linked Image]
In Hesperia, CA next to Victorvill, in the High Desert,(On the way to Las Vegas from LA)
they have changed all of the signals to these LED's this summer. Really good light from these. Maybe it's also an attempt to get people to quite running so many red lights! [Linked Image]
Nick

#3383 08/19/01 02:00 PM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Thanks to everyone for the replies! [Linked Image]

I'd like to address each reply with a "snip" of quoted text.

• pauluk

I've not seen any here in England yet either, but I was in France about two years ago, and noticed LED signals everywhere. As you said, the smart "snap" from one color to the next is what really gets the attention at first.

Exactly! They "snap" on or off so sharply, it's a real attention grabber. The colors are really solid also.

Many of the normal lights seem to have been converted, but it was hard to see the exact arrangement because they still appear to use a gel or lens of some kind.

The ones I have seen have only a clear acrylic cover [for waterproofing, diffusing?], but no colored gels. The Green arrays must be using clear LED cases because when the Green signal is off, it has an odd appearance. The Reds and Ambers [Yellows] must use colored cases as they are noticable when off.

Junctions with high suspended lights in France usually have a small repeater set mounted at eye-level for the driver at the front of the line. Just about all of these seem to be LEDs now, consisting of a dozen or so high-intensity LEDs arranged within a 2 to 3 in. dia. circle.

In California, there's a fixture type, similar to the repeater set, which is mounted on the pole at around 12 feet +/- above grade, which is supplimental to the fixture mounted on the Cantelevered extension. Some of them use smaller sized gels [about 1/2 the size of the overhead fixtures]. The LED replacements have around 30 LEDs, which look like 5.0 mm size.

• Mickky

Up here in Canada, I have seen a lot of traf. lights using fiber-optics, which allows servicing or lamp changes from a safe place.I assume these are fairly common, but I haven't seen the LED's yet.

I like that idea! Less risk of getting hit by passing cars, etc.
The driven light source might be from LED arrays, or from gelled Incandescents. I'm going to have to check this out more!!

• Don "resqcapt19

Haven't seen any traffic lights yet, but emergency vehicles are starting to use them for the warning lights. They can meet the NFPA warning light regulations with less strain on the battery and alternator. I've also seen some commerical truchs with led tail lights.
Don(resqcapt19)

I have seen more and more Trucks, Trailers - especially ones for flammable materials, such as Gasoline "1203"; and city busses (more than one bus - is that the correct spelling?? [Linked Image]] which are using LED arrays for tail lights plus marker lights. Haven't noticed if the Fire Trucks or Ambulances have changed over, so I'll look into this [I'll tailgate an Emergency Vehicle that's on call... just joking].

• Rick "rmiell"

I have installed a few of these units, all in the name of energy conservation. I changed all colors. Walk/don't walk couldn't be changed due to size.I will get the specific information Tuesday when I get back into my office.

Cool!!! We have someone with hands-on experience. If you could post some information here, that would be great!
If you have any information about them in non-hardcopy format [a data file on your computer at work], would it be possible for you to E-Mail it directly to me? I'm an info junky!

One thing I have noticed. These units give off great light, but sometime the green makes it hard to see ahead of your vehicle.

Heck ya!!! That is really some intense light output!

• Nick

Been looking for you in the neighboring forum too for a while.
In Hesperia, CA next to Victorvill, in the High Desert,(On the way to Las Vegas from LA) they have changed all of the signals to these LED's this summer. Really good light from these. Maybe it's also an attempt to get people to quite running so many red lights!
Nick

The Holt group was getting too hot from the flame wars, so I just decided to stay away. Besides, I feel more at home here at ECN!!!
Were all three colors, along with the Walk / Don't Walk signs changed to LEDs?
So, how hard is the heat wave hitting Hesperia?
My Wife went to Vegas this weekend, and on the way out there, got stuck in the traffic which builds up around Barstow. She called me and said that if you roll down the window, hot air blasted in like sticking your head in an HVAC duct! Man, that traffic sucks!

Well everyone, thank you very much for the input. If I come across some tech data, I'll post it to ECN - either in this area, or the reference section.

Scott SET

p.s. had to edit a smilee, which I made a typo on! Would have made your head spin decoding that one [Linked Image]

SET

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 08-19-2001).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#3384 08/19/01 03:19 PM
N
Scott,
All three colors were changed. I don't know about the walk/don't walk signs because I wasn't paying attention. [Linked Image] I'm not at home right now (I'm down around your neck of the woods. San Clemente) but I'll check when I get back. It's been getting upwards of 105 Deg at home and yes the traffic through Barstow is terrible. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it. [Linked Image]
Nick

#3385 12/30/04 05:35 PM
Now a days, most of the signals are converted. The only ones not converted are owned by the township/borough, or Penndot forgot them. The Ped. Signals are also changed now. The LED upgrades replaces the lamp socket, reflector, and lense. The new module goes where the lense used to be. NYC, New Jersey, and PA are about 75-80% filled with LED traffic signals. Heres a bit more information: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question178.htm

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 10-01-2006).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#3386 12/30/04 09:10 PM
P
Mostly the red ones are replaced and then the green ones. The yellow ones aren't on for a very long time so they don't get replaced around here.
Evidently this will save energy.
~Peter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard