ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Wow! Some of ya'll got some long hours. Me:

Up at 4:30, SSS, fly out the door, drive 16 miles and clock in at 5:30 and work till 2:00 & clock out.

After 2:00, bid or work side jobs if I have any (keeping those to a profitable minimum these days) or pick up kids from school and haul them to sports practices. Piddle on computer, eat dinner, annoy wife, go to bed by 9:00, repeat Monday through Friday. Occaisional Saturday overtime.

S
what's the old addage?

early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy & wise....

~S~

..You guys are gonna laugh me right outta the Forum when you hear this...
Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to sleep...but now, I'm a night owl..I'm up til about 3am, usually, and get up at 8am..I have my single cup of joe for the day,check in here,at the Forum,..check my e-mail,...then nature calls...get dressed, and hopefully by 9am, I'm out the door...The clincher is,tho',..we work later than most shops,..sometimes til 7:30-8:00pm..The guys don't mind,as they can sleep an extra hour,and I don't mind,cuz I'm not a morning person.... [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy & wise....
..I guess thats why I'm neither!!!
AR

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 01-28-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
D
Depends on where (and for whom) I'm working..

For my boss- Non-FD day up around 0630/0700, shower/read paper [Linked Image] head to Dunkin Donuts for Big Joe Xcream Xsugar, head to job, arrive 0800-0830, work until 1500, as late as 1800 on pre-final nights.

FD days (the day immediately after my 24-hour stint at the FD), If we've been slow (ie I've been able to get "sleep"), I usually head home when we get off duty at 0700, then shower, head to DD, head to job - arrive 0800-0900, work until 1500 or so. If we've been busy, I'll call my foreman and catch a catnap (Tired Dug make mestikes), and get up arounf 0900, arrive 1000, work as long as needed. (I'm lucky - my foreman is a Lt. on my p/t FD, so he knows the business - we've also clocked out from EC and gone to fire calls when working in town)

When working for myself? Usually try to keep the same hours, but have been known to sleep in, unless another contractor is waiting for me / needs to be worked with time-or-area-wise; then the schedule calls the shots.

Hey, it's the nice part about being your own boss! [Linked Image]

mj,
Well,
I'm a bit of a "round the clock" Electrician/Line Mechanic/Faultsman. [Linked Image]
On a normal day, I'll stumble out of bed at 0530 have a shower and shave, cook my own breakfast and do the dishes.
After about 3 cups of coffee I'm almost in the land of the living.
Start work at 0800, do various jobs until 1230 have lunch if time allows.
Work until 1700.
After 1700 I am on call until 0800 every day of the week.
On Saturdays I am on call from 0700 to 0000
and the same for Sunday.
Also in this time I am usually part of the local Fire Brigade Duty Crew with just living down the road from the Fire Station, it's a 900m run from here!.
Somewhere in between I sleep!. [Linked Image]

Mj,
Also at the end of a given week, I have so much paperwork to fill out for all of the work that I do, it's not even funny, well at least I'm not laughing.
I've been on call since 0700 this morning, I have attended 3 Fire calls today and have filled out 34 Certificates of Compliance for both Electrical Installations and the Associated Linework pertaining to the above.
I have filled out 23 FIRS (Fire Incident Report Sheets)Sheets.
Also I have Faults Procedures and Line Clearance forms to fill out.
Sometimes I just wish this could all be done on-line.
But the powers that be here, need a paper trail, if I spread all these papers out they'd go from here to the Moon!. [Linked Image]
It's now 0130 Sunday morning, I'll get to bed (provided there are no Faults calls) about 0700. [Linked Image]

S
I get up around 5 p.m., eat supper, and either head to a side job or do some work around the house. Then at 10p.m. I leave for the night job, get home around 8a.m., check on a couple of message boards and then go to bed. Start cycle again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard