ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33551 01/24/04 10:43 AM
A
Hi Everyone,
Anyone have any good tips on marketing a new business? I was told that if I advertise in local (small town) newspapers as "Homeowners' Electrician" that I would end up being swamped with alot of little jobs that the bigger contractors wouldn't do. Sounds good. I don't know. Any thoughts or ideas from some of you veterans would be really GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,
Angelo

Angelo
#33552 01/24/04 08:11 PM
S
Angelo,
if you'd like to advertise yourself towards smaller jobs most of the established guys will probably refer you

~S~

#33553 01/25/04 04:12 PM
B
First, I'd recommend going through an easy-to-digest version of a basic marketing course like the 5 pages at http://tenonline.org/art/mm1.html .

Then I would follow the basics found there... determine what your 'market' (location, community) needs and if you're the expert to deliver on their needs. Sounds like you're already here. Then write down (a Business Plan doesn't need to be overly-fancy and most begin on the cafe napkin or back of the envelope and go from there) what you've got to offer, who you will offer it to, what unmet need it delivers on and any basic parameters of your offering.

It will help if you take off your "Boss/Owner" hat and put on the "Customer" hat to give yourself a look at how the other side will see what you're offering:
- does it offer something I need (or want)?
- does it lack something I need (or want)?
- does it seem to be of decent quality?
- will it be something I can afford?
- will I feel good after I begin to use this or after I pay for it?
- will I be able to refer others to this in good faith?

Then, put your 'Boss' hat back on and ask similar questions so that both parties will be able to look back on the deliverable and be satisfied that neither side got the short end of the stick... (don't promise 'forever' repairs or modifications, for example, but do offer some sort of guarantee of quality deliverable, arbitrated by a qualified third party if necessary, for example)....

Hope this helps, Marketing has been an interest of mine but I hate the potential for manipulation and unethical behavior by those who are more savvy with lower integrity.

#33554 01/25/04 08:13 PM
A
Thanks guys,REALLY big help. Sparky your right. I just need to figure out how to get recognized by some of these bigger contractors. BuggabooBren, Outstanding marketing lesson. Thanks so much again guys.

Angelo

Angelo
#33555 01/25/04 09:21 PM
E
Ok this is easy. What do you want to do? New homes? Ceiling fans? Remodel? Start with the local paper. You will get the little old ladies with broken lamps. This is good or bad depending on what you are looking for. Go out and meet contrators. Stop at job sites introduce yourself. Be clean, professional etc. Keep at it. This will work. A little luck always helps but the reality is if you want it go out and get it, do not wait for it to come to you. Don't let the yellow pages steal all your money.

Link Copied to Clipboard