ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
mj Offline OP
need help... I love my job, but I have supervisor that I " hate with a passion."I always get good anual ratings on my job performance. The job is civil service, so its almost impossible to get fired.any one else in the same situation ?

S
mj,
as i work for many whom i'd not piss on if they were on fire, i find i need only maintain my composure for the duration of the job , or essentially get fired.

that said....

heaven help that i could NOT be fired and meet the arrogant condesention of these affluent fools speaking my own mind...

either scenario is a no-win one

~S~

M
mj Offline OP
Sparky, I just could find the right words, but you hit the nail on the head. I tried to be self employed, but that did not pay the bills. So I went for a goverment job. nevertheless, maybe if I put on my knee pads, the supervisor and I will get alone well.

Broom Pusher and
mj;

First off - Shine the Knee Pads!!!
Do whatever needs to be done "Sans Knee Pads".

Is this Supervisor a "Stupidvisor", or does the Person just have a very hard to deal with 'Tude?

Any way to have a Moderated discussion with that Person's Superior? That would be one way to figure out whaddahecks up.

Have said it before, and now it's redundantly typed again:

"The One And Only Hated Part Of The Trade Is Dealing With Pettyness".

Need to resolve this ASAP - before it turns into a heated problem.

Take the first step and ask "Whaddahecks Wrong", which makes this Person frost you.
If there's a valid point, try to rectify it.
If an invalid point, make it very clear that it's not correct.

If the Person refuses to discuss anything, just calmly mention that you are trying to resolve any pre-determined conflicting issues that Person may have about you, in order to keep the peace + eliminate any problems before they arrise.

If this Person is performing poorly in an area, make this a point next time that Person deals out 'Tude at you. Just do not be "Smart-A**ed" when saying it!

Luckilly you work Civil Service - and cannot be fired instantly for what someone else may slanderize you for (without you being present or informed of it, then asked your side of the story).
Same cannot be said in many other areas - where just one loudmouth joker can get quality personnel fired - due to that clown's insecurities and pettyness.
Many-Many-Many times this happens, and to top things off, the person(s) being terminated have not ever been asked their side of the story!

Just keep calm, do your work as proper as possible, try to be reasonable with the person, and don't talk behind the person's back to others. Only discuss things 1:1 with the offending person, or within a Moderated group setting.

Hope all works out for you.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
M
mj Offline OP
Thanks Scott, good advice I will take note thereof and act accordingly I need to work my (G)job another 10 years in order to get full retirement awards.

E
I worked civil service for 27 years designing power lines and commercial/industrial services. The last few years were really bad. Budget cuts, no overtime, screw the customer attitudes. I'd been doing side jobs for 7 or 8 years to put the kids through private school. At 52 I became eligable for a pension. If I stayed till 55 I would get another $500 a month but I would be 3 years closer to death. My last day at the office was my 52nd birthday. I have not regretted my decision once. Three supervisors offered me $45 an hour to come back as a mentor/consultant to train engineers. I said I'd think about it and never cslled them back. I work about half time, have time to take the wife to lunch once in a while or take a kid bowling after school. I've made new friends and I get down to Mexico a few times a year. When I work I'm my own boss. My customers give me a big smile a sincere thank you, and a fat check. Every job is different and I meet new people and hear their life's story. Once in a while, when I'm crawling around in an attic or a crawlspace, I tell myself I was crazy to give up a desk job even if I was surrounded by a bunch of power tripping backstabbing idiots. Then I find myself smiling and think "no way."
I paid my dues and I ain't never going back.
Ever!

W
You're not working for the guy in the thread "When enough is enough", are you? [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard