ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#33182 01/14/04 02:18 AM
E
elecbob Offline OP
I ran a total of 28 lins of CAT5+ cable to 13 different locations.
1 phone line to each
1 network line to each
1 printer line to 2 locations
Now the customer wants me 2 install all the jacks. This was not in the original plan. I can to the individual locations but what do I do on the other end? Where they all come together. Anyone know of a website describing the equioment I need?
Thanks
Bob

#33183 01/14/04 02:58 AM
B
You need to ask the customer what he really wants. There are punchdown patch panels that are usually rackmount - read pricey. I have seen surface mount plastic blocks that will hold 4 jacks. In my house, I just put a couple of 2x4 boxes on a backing board and used faceplates with 4 jacks each. For the phone side, I used a "66" block and punched down all 4 pairs of each cat5. That allows up to 4 idependant phone lines. If you keep it simple, you can find all the parts you need at the local Big Orange Box. If it gets complicated, Graybar handles a lot of networking hardware.

#33184 01/14/04 06:46 AM
Z
elecbob,- I am sure you know some tele-data installers. Get a quote from them to install the ends and punch downs. Then you tack on your mark-up and give your quote to the owner as a extra, since it was not in your bid. I do this all the time and it seems to work.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
#33185 01/14/04 07:51 AM
S
the '66' blocks , per Big Jim are easiest..

the ones i use come in 3 sizes, DD1,DD2,DD3 which are just a JB, the options from there are quite intricate, Leviton makes varied models of structured media...
a base model (also just a JB)
[Linked Image from hometech.com]
ana advanced...
one can even incluse a DSL or router...

you'll need to get a punchdown tool for this...
[Linked Image from tecratools.com]
networking is big, there are also many forums addressing the particulars...

#33186 01/15/04 05:57 AM
R
i thought cat 5 cable needed a cat 5 connector matching the number of pairs and a crimp tool?

#33187 01/15/04 08:08 AM
S
that's the user end rizer...
[Linked Image from kitchen-sink.monkey.sbay.org]

or one use plates w/ screw down terminals...

#33188 01/17/04 10:12 PM
Broom Pusher and
Electbob;

Go for it!
If you have the time (and can make a profit too!), I would suggest you do the punchdowns on all ends.
If you need additional help in these areas, feel free to ask us, or contact directly via E-mail (contact me
if needed).

As suggested, get some 66 blocks for the voice terminations at the TBB, and a nice CAT-5 rated
patch bay (patch panel) for the Data terminations.
We set up an "MDF" (Main Distribution Frame) which contains patch panels for both voice and data, then
the LAN equipment gets set on the MDF. Voice / Analog phone stuff is connected to the peripheral
telephone equipment via 25 pair runs to whatever is needed (or directly to the PET - Protected
Entrance Terminal at the MPOE - Minimum Point Of Entrance).

At first, the work may be confusing, and a bit overbearing - but after time it will become second nature!

Being able to do these installs may allow your company to take on more work.

There's one aspect of this stuff not yet addressed as I can see - Certification of Installations. This
requires a pricey $$$ tester. Basically what this means is (if required by the client), after the LAN
cabling is installed + identified (outlets / ports ID), testing is done for CAT-"X" compliance.
Not difficult to do, just keep things "right" and you should pass tests!

That brings up another thing - colors for cable jackets!
Do yourself a big favor and use two different colors for your system types! Common ones are Yellow for
Data and Blue for Voice (Analog/Telephone).
When installing colored cables, be sure the pulling force does not result in "Sections Of White Jacket"
on colored cables! This happens when cables get strrrreeeeettttcccchhhheeedddddd!
Stretched cables usually result in a CAT-5 cable not being Certifiable for CAT-5 (100 MBPS).
Known as "Dog-5", this can really suck!

Good luck!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#33189 01/17/04 11:07 PM
B
"DOG 5"... That's hits the nail on the head.

#33190 01/18/04 12:33 AM
H
All we do is telecom and data. Here is what you need to do:

1) Data jacks are orange, CAT5 or better. ALWAYS USE THE 568B WIRING SCHEME. I recommend Leviton #41108-RO5. These are "keystone" jacks that snap into a plate. Single gang plates are available with up to six ports.(Six jacks). We usually use the 3 port, #41080-3*P. (replace * with W for white, I for ivory). Use #41084-B*B to blank up any unused ports.

2) The voice jacks are CAT3. These are 6 pin jacks #41106-R*6. Only punch down the wh/bl and the wh/or pairs. The other two pairs are spares. We always make the voice jacks the same color as the plate.

3) At the other end, terminate the voice runs on a 66 block. (Leviton #40066-M25)(Sorry Sparky, I've never seen that junk you are using.) This is a split 50 pair block which means that you can put 6 four pair cables on each side. Always install a 66 block on a 89D standoff bracket. (Leviton # 40089-D) YOU WILL HAVE TO KNOW THE COLOR CODE!! If a telcom vendor is going to install a system DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THE VOICE CABLES. Don't punch them down, leave them long enough at least to reach the floor. Cut them all to the same length and coil them up together into one neat coil. Don't waste your time marking or tagging the runs. We will tone them out as we terminate them.

4) The data runs get terminated on a patch panel. For 13 runs you will need a 16 port #59484-U16. This is a 1 space by 19" rack panel. Use a hinged wall bracket to mount it to the wall. REMEMBER TO USE THE 568B SCHEME when you punch your cables down.

5) You will need a punch down tool with a 66 blade for the 66 blocks and a 110 blade for the jacks and patch panel.

6) NEVER, repeat NEVER even think about certifying the data runs (voice runs don't get certified) unless you absolutely have to. CAT5 cable must be run absolutely without kinks, tight bends or crushes and must be terminated flawlessly. If any of this is not met it will not certify. This doesn't mean it won't work or anyone will notice a problem (unless you really butchered it), it just won't certify and you will have to replace the run. No matter how much experience you have, or how many helpers, you always will have kinks in this stuff. Hopefully you straighten them out but the run can still can fail certification.

7) If you are using plenum rated cable, consider using CAT3 for voice. This is less than half the price of CAT5.

#33191 01/18/04 01:01 AM
R
ALWAYS USE THE 568B WIRING SCHEME
Just want to ask why? I too use the 568B wiring, but is there any problem as long as everything in the building is done the same way? I have seen 568A called out in specs.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard