ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Edward Offline OP
How do you keep yourself educated in the electrical field?
Do you take refresher courses?

Code, Trade, techniques, theory...

Edward

Thanks
Edward
S
I keep my nose in the code book as much as possible and I come to sites like this. Just reading everyone else's posts and discussions is a great way to keep on top of things I may have forgotten and opens my eyes to things I may have never considered.

Maybe in a small way I can help someone else out in the process.

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 12-25-2003).]

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Just reading everyone else's posts and discussions is a great way to keep on top of things I may have forgotten and opens my eyes to things I may have never considered

That's it for me. Every post I read if I am not 100% familiar with the code section I will look it up. It's the best way for me to stay on top of it and it's easy, not boring and best of all it's free! Sure beats stupida** tv shows. Can you imagine if some of the great minds like Einstein and Franklin and Edison had the Internet???
I feel as if I have access to minds as great as those just on these forums.
Brian

W
In Maine, everytime a new code book comes out(every 3 years) you have to take a 15 hr refresher course on the code. I generally go to one taught by a state AHJ. Its pretty tough to sit there for 8 hrs on 2 consecutive days but you do learn some stuff as he covers all the changes from last version of code.

P
I also like the forum type discussions, as they do give a 'country wide' aspect as to wiring, which has been a real eye opener. I also take about 4 or 5 different type of classes a year offered by the NFPA and IAEI. There are local classes set up and I take them as well. I spend an average of two weeks in some kind of class a year - with the classes and the forums, one day I may have a chance of understanding some of this stuff [Linked Image]
I also have purchased about 30 books from these sites and they also help as ready reference. The magazines that are available are another source - with most being free. And of course the endless source of the internet - except you need to be more careful of the information in some sites.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
H
Here in NJ you use to have to take a 10 hour refresher course every three years. This year they changed that to 34 hours. ( I believe)I heard something about the AHJ's with licenses being able to "shelve" their license because we aren't doing electrical contracting anymore. As an AHJ I still need several CEU's for my different inspectors license.

G
Nebraska requires 12 CEU every two years for license renewal. It's a good rule, unfortunately it's the only time I get away for continuing education.

Websites like this one are a valuble learning tool and much more accessible than the classroom.

GJ

E
Edward Offline OP
Anyone knows of a refresher course in California?

I think that is a great idea. Besides reading the code, trade magazines, discussion forums, text books...

Edward

Thanks
Edward

Link Copied to Clipboard