ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 150 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#32437 12/24/03 04:44 PM
Paul,

I just look for the Flashlight ... [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#32438 12/24/03 07:31 PM
B
Good to see you back online, Mike. Around here, a primary-to-secondary fault in a distribution transformer is called a “line cross.” Is it possible to get some recourse through the serving utility? There is almost nothing that will prevent damage in the case you describe, short of unplugging everything prior to the fault—which, of course is impossible because one can’t predict the future.

Legally, I don’t know business practices in NZ, but the utility at very least has a moral responsibility to reimburse you for lost equipment and time you spent getting it back up and running. Good luck in your efforts.

#32439 12/25/03 04:16 AM
S
Bill, am I the only one left here who still futzes around with a kerosene lantern when the lights go out? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 12-25-2003).]

#32440 12/26/03 07:45 AM
P
Paul,
I just look for the Flashlight ...

It must have been a short-lived problem. Around 4:30 p.m. the lights suddenly came up brighter and when I looked at the meter the line was up to 238V. No problems since! [Linked Image]

Trumpy,
If nothing else, couldn't you get the PoCo for failing to maintain the supply within required tolerances? I'd say 6kV+ is a little out of tolerance for a 240V supply... [Linked Image]

#32441 12/26/03 07:27 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Attic Rat,
Yes, a switch-board is what us New Zealanders refer to a CB Panel as.
andy,Mean Gene,
Sorry, but I really got time to take any pictures, I was more concerned with re-instating the supply to my and all the other houses on the blocks around here.
But the Tranny is still in the yard at work, I'll see if I can get some pics of it on Monday morning, it's not looking very happy!. [Linked Image]
Bjarney,
I agree, there is no predicting an occurence like this one, nothing short of leaving your Main Switch off, until you need to use some power, would minimise the chances of it happening.
With regard to liability, the Lines company responded an assessor to check out the damage on Xmas Eve and I am told that they will fully re-imburse everyone for all property, etc lost (as they should!).
I gave the Line Crew a hand to change over the Xformers and it was so hot that you could have put it in your Lounge and heated the whole room, but the thing never burst into flames during the fault.
BTW, a Line Cross is called a Blow-Over, here.
Paul,
At least the Lines Co couldn't be accused of lack supply voltage.
Just think how quick you could cook a Turkey in an 11kV oven! [Linked Image].

Power outages and HV cable faults are taken VERY seriously over here, especially after the big outage in Auckland, a few years back, the media usually get a good chance to lambast whoever is responsible, even if they don't know who exactly that is. [Linked Image]

#32442 12/26/03 09:48 PM
Broom Pusher and
Mike;
That really sucks!!! Terrible loss of equipment! Very glad that nobody was hurt during the scenario!

I imagine the PC you finally got working was killed from the introduction of 11 KV + 230 V? If it did, man that machine is
Possessed!

As to the Brownouts and Blackouts;
We had momentary Blackouts on Christmas day. Happened twice - about 15 minutes apart. Each was reset within 5 seconds.
High winds and rain brought down Tree Limbs, which screwed up things on Primaries in the next neighborhood over (same
feeder, just Isolated by cut-outs).

When something is going to happen, we get a little "precursor" notice, in the form of Audio Hum. The Audio Amp on my PC has
an AC hum problem, which I have suppressed as much as possible. It's lowest noise level is when system is stable. When AC
Voltage raises or lowers, the hum increases dramatically - hence gives us a ½ second warning of "Weirdness To Come".

During the Disneyland and City of Anaheim projects, we had a few nasty Brownout scenarios come our way!
Those were the worst I had ever seen.

Anyhow, how did the Turkey end up, when cooked via a high voltage Resistance oven? [Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#32443 12/26/03 11:36 PM
G
Trumpy:

I realise that this may be a one-off thing (I'm hoping it is), but there should be a better way of protecting yourself against this sort of thing, don't you think?.

Not sure how they would work over there but they are supposed to be good to 6000 volts

http://www.surgex.com/

#32444 12/27/03 03:56 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
GlennH,
Thanks for the link, mate.
While I was looking at the site I read some of the FAQ's and I can't help but find the answers a little hard to fathom, I don't know, it must be just the way I read them?.
Scott35,
I was just kidding around when I mentioned that 11kv oven.
At that level of energy, I reckon you'd burn the bird in a matter of micro-seconds!. [Linked Image]

#32445 12/27/03 01:54 PM
P
Power outages and HV cable faults are taken VERY seriously over here, especially after the big outage in Auckland, a few years back, the media usually get a good chance to lambast whoever is responsible, even if they don't know who exactly that is.

The Auckland blackout even made the news here in Britain, and believe me it's not very often that we hear anything about New Zealand on our news!

#32446 12/27/03 02:01 PM
N
Just think how quick you could cook a Turkey in an 11kV oven!

Why not go here and find out? [Linked Image]
http://www.voltnet.com/humor/cook/index.shtml

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard