ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 247 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
It's been nearly a year since CA started taking applications for Electrician Certification Exams, which cover employees of Electrical Contractors.
As of Nov 7, the entire state had only 1533 electricians certified.
If you don't pass this exam by 1-1-05, you might as well learn how to hang drywall because you'll no longer be working as an electrician.
What's everybody waiting for??

R
electure,

Is there a "Grandfather" clause?
I know PA has voted down legislation for state licensing several times, but I read the bill.
It has a fairly liberal grandfather clause which exempts contractors with 6 years in the business from having to test.

C
Redsy

There is not grandfather clause but the certification only applies to employees of electrical contractors. A single person shop is not required to get certified.

One of the big problems I have with this certification program is that it doesn’t apply to all electricians only those employed by electrical contractors. While most commercial projects are done by electrical contractors many general contractors do their own residential work. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the small residential shops drop their electrical contractors license and get a general contractors license. They would then be required to do more that one trade on the job but they could work this out easy enough. The primary general contractor on the project could simply have the electrical contractor, now a general contractor bill them for electrical wiring plus some framing or other work even if they didn’t do the other work. The reason that the primary general contractor might be willing to do this is to save money. I know that many of the supposed residential journeymen will not be able to pass this test so the electrical contractor will not have to hire real journeymen which will mean big rate increases. I feel this certification should apply to all electricians. Most of the really bad electrical work I see is not done by electrician but by carpenters or other tradesmen trying to be electricians.

Curt

Curt Swartz
E
I am with you Curt.
I know a contractor with a (B) license that does electrical work only and some how he has not been caught yet.He has his ways around the rules and regulations but it is not fair to electricians.

I think the state should have much stricter lures and regulations and have people follow up on contractors.

Thanks
Edward
W
Not sure I understand why they are doing this, do you have to be licensed to do electrical work in California?? besides a contractors license?? Just curious [Linked Image]

I share Curt's concerns about the ways around the certifications, and I agree that it should apply to all people doing electrical work.
A C-10 (electrical) license holder will only be able to work on his/her own job without being certified, not work for somebody else.
In this area, a GC has to be doing 3 or more trade's jobs in order to pull an electrical permit.
Small TI jobs or residential, maybe they'll get away with it. A one man shop will not be able to tackle anything bigger without raising suspicion.

The simple fact is though, that agree or disagree, this is not simply going to "go away".

Is it just the nature of people to wait until the last second...like Christmas shopping? If people would just go take the silly 4 hour exam instead of spending countless hours trying to figure out how to circumvent the system....(Ahh, I should know better than that)...S [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-02-2003).]

Yeah, me again, the original intent was:
Guys and Gals, you need to apply and take the test. The sooner the better. If you're not certain you'll pass, that's all the more reason...so you can find out what you need to study to pass it. A Retest is available, but costs more $. Bid Deal, huh?. It's going to be a clustersmash when it get's to the end of the year.
There's no way out of this

Put yourself ahead. Get with it.
If you haven't studied, get off your butt and do what you should have done all along...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-02-2003).]

N
Took the test early, got paid all day the day I took it, Union reimbursed me for the cost of the test and license, didn't have to pay for any study courses thanks to ECN! Thanks for the site Bill. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Broom Pusher and
At the "Circus" (former EC firm) I had been involved with recently, the "Lead Clown" (my former boss) wanted me to get all field workers in the Company ready for this exam.

Sounded like a challenge I could do, so agreed to perform this education task (when it comes to teaching, there's no question about it - I'll do it!!!).

Lead Clown agreed to pay for me to take one of the Refresher Courses, given by "ABC", and to pay for the certification + examination fees (no mention to travel or other non productive items, but just having someone agree to pay the exam + refresher items was more than enough to me!).

I took said refresher course. Passed it, and even received a certificate of passing from ABC.

Went to Lead Clown to discuss "Phase Two" of this thing, and found myself - once again - in the frikken Twilight Zone!!!

Bozo now willnot pay for exam, and wants reimbursement for refresher course!
Bozo also figures I should not take certification exam, and only school Employees as to "Easiest" way to pass exam.

Nevertheless, the entire thing was nullified soon after the sillyness mentioned.

Would be very difficult for me to explain the exam's details, to Employees of former 3-ring Circus, without knowing WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE, or HOW IT WAS GIVEN!!!

I still plan to take the exam, it's just become a "tad bit sour" subject, due to the Big Top's influences.

After I have completely vented my frustrations that built up at "Bozo's Big Top", the subject will be different!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard