ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
I will be taking the test again for the 6th time. I'm not very good at tests btw. I have been studying for this test for a long time, and I can't seem to get anywhere. My question to the experts is this, what should I do to cram in the next few days for my test? What chapters of any book do you think I should be knocking out? NEC? Anything would be a great help to me.

Thanks in Advance
Mike

A
Mike,

Have you used one of the commercial exam preparation courses to get ready?

I used one, and it worked for me. Passed first time, and I would'nt have passed the law/business/safety exam without it. And it made the trade exam easier.

There's so much stuff on the law/business/safety exam, I can't even suggest where to start except with one of the info books and practice tests from one of many exam prep companies. For the trade exam, take Mike Holt's exam prep questions. Mike's questions are similar in difficulty and detail to the ones on the Calif exam.

If you need them, I have the full set of four books (two information books and two practice exam books, one of each for the law and the trade), plus a cassette tape on safety and a set of six audio CDs on the law. From Accelerated Learning Systems. The stack of books is about 3" thick, and I paid $380 for it. Will sell for half that.

I went this route rather than pay for a course where you have to spend several Saturdays taking practice tests at some classroom to get ready.

Good luck on the exams.

Cliff

M
Hey Cliff. I have taken 2 different schools. Both of the questions and answers were pretty close in nature. I take the test on Wed of this week, but what I was wondering was of any code book, or any thing like that, where a section of the book would be beneficial for the test. If I had more time I would take the Mike Holt test stuff. I also saw somewhere some time ago, that a website (can’t remember which) would have test questions on electrical.

Thanks again
Mike

S
Mike if you've seen the test 5 times already, you should know what is covered in detail. Or are the different tests varying greatly? Don't take this post as a put down, I'm just wondering. I know the Contractors Board recently made changes and I haven't heard any information regarding the tests.

steve

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 11-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 11-23-2003).]

Steve
M
Yeah they change the test every time. I can't remember if I have seen the same question twice.

Mike

E
Hello Mike.
To be honest with you, when i was scheduled to take my test, i took a three day crash course in addition to the Contractors State License School program that i had.
That three day (8 hrs each) crash course did not help me that much. The only difficulty that i had was the law part. They had words in there that was about three inches long.

The law part is ver hard.

Anyway i dont think i gave you any pointers.

GOOD LUCK, WISH THE BEST.

When is your test?
Let me know i might still have the Contractors State License School text book. I can let you borrow it.

Edward.

Thanks
Edward
M
Hi Ed, I past the Law (barely) a few tests ago, but for some reason I'm having a real hard time with the trade, and I have gone though the IBEW 5 year apprenticeship program and still can't pass this test. The test is this Wed. A day before Thanksgiving.
I also live in San Jose, northern California area. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Mike

E
we could be neighbors.
When i was taking the test i thought they ought to be prosecuted for giving a test this easy. I had no problem at all taking the trade part. In 1999 though.

Good Luck.

Thanks
Edward
M
Yeah the test is much harder now I think. I know that they redid the entire test in 2000 or 2001. either way It's hard for me. I'm not real good at taking tests anyways. Where in Cal are you?

Thanks
Mike

E
In Campbell.
Go ahead and e-mail me your info. May be we can help each other out.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard