ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Pathetic, isn't it?

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
M
Same problem here.

City folks moving out here because it's quaint and "earthy". And then wanting us to change our lifestyle to be more like city folks.

My uncle's on the town council. A lady just moved into an old farm house (probably to "restore" it instead of just live in it) and called my uncle demanding a street light be put up. He told her to put one up if she wanted one but the town sure wasn't going to do it. She got mad and told him "But you don't know how dark it is out here."

Broom Pusher and
Like many others here, I do not own or operate any HAM Radio equipment; but I do like the idea of others using said equipment.

Also will practically stop to check out some interesting HAM Antenna arrays + tower structures.
Seen operators with multiple Antenna setups around their yard - obviously being driven from multiple Radio sets (like ones using different band widths: i.e. HF, VHF, UHF, etc.).

I had a troublesome experience with our former next-door neighbor and their high power HAM Radio. Its been mentioned a few times before, as to the extents of RFI, so I'll just briefly mention the scenarios.

Certain channels on the HAM Transmission would completely kill our TV reception. Much more than just stepping on certain channels - it would overpower every channel.

I brought it to the neighbor's attention, so as to figure what Hz(s) were being used, and I could build filters to place at RF inputs, on AC power inputs, on line level inputs, and on our POTS Telephone circuits.

Didn't have too much luck with the neighbor, so I just "Guesstimated" notch points, and made Low-Pass or High-Pass filters as to the signal line used.

FCC covers the laws to RF Transmissions, and they suggest discussing the problem first before trying to do anything legal or stupid. The law (article) clearly says the party which is receiving the RFI must take the actions of eliminating it, and does not say anything about the party doing the Transmitting having to do anything extra to reduce interference (they do suggest discussions, as previously noted).
This is fine with me, and would not change it for anything!

Like said before, Antennas + Towers look cool to me, and I encourage the use of Amature Radio.
I do not understand how the site of Antennas is offensive to others, but can understand how annoying extreme RFI can be!
However, if a person does not attempt to rectify the problem and discuss it with the HAM operator, that's absolutely ridiculous behavior.
Bringing in Law Enforcement personnel is a joke + waste of that agency's time.
Taking personnel and destructive actions is COMPLETELY uncalled for!
This goes the same for both parties involved.

Just my $0.02 (2¢)

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
This may be a little off topic but this does not sound like the Amateur radio operators that I have known. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046473939

C
Speedy Petey:

I'm in the Poconos. I feel your pain, brother!

My uncle is a HAM guy. Had a 50 some odd foot tower up in my grandparents backyard for years, never had a complaint, (Even from the aircraft on approach to the little local airport a quarter mile away!) until THEY moved in from across the rivers.

He wasn't using it anymore, since he had moved away, so we took it down for him to take to his new home, where he has used it for nearly 20 years, miles from Trenton, and to my knowledge has never had a complaint.

It's all about integrity.
B
No offense to licensed, competent amateur operators anywhere… but OTOH, there was this true white-trash trailerhouse neighbor with his 200-watt ceebee leenier {that flooded absolutely everything from on-hook phones through UHF channel 58}—where the only success I had was to run 12THHN through the garage rafters tied to the stinger of an ancient AIRCO 0.60 duty-cycle welder and light off the TIG HF feature, with its lovely tungsten spark gap. [Sometimes you just have to fight harmonics with harmonics.]

Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
In NZ here, we don't have a thing like PRB-1, unfortunately.
Erecting a Radio Tower can be a very risky business and I'm only talking about the planning process.
Depending on where you live here, there are all sorts of Laws and so forth (the biggest one of all, the RMA (Resource Management Act)).
Then your local Council will require you to get a Stuctural Engineer to draw up plans for you and make sure the thing is safe to build.
Steel towers are required to be constructed by a Certified Welder and his work is then inspected by the Structural Engineer.
This all takes time and costs a fortune and considering the hieght of some of the TV Aerial masts here, seems really un-necessary!.
But, one thing that really rubs me the wrong way, is the fact that 95% of us Radio hams here, are only too happy to help with RFI complaints, but most people just run straight to the Authorities, often without any real evidence.
It's also amazing how many members of the general public, can't tell the difference between a Ham tower and a Cell tower.
One guy over here was fitting the aerials to his new tower and ended up with a crowd of people at his gate screaming and demanding that he remove the Cell tower from his property. [Linked Image]
The tower (minus aerials) had been standing for 3 months.
Bjarney,
The use of Linear Amps on gear like CB Radio's is something that I am hotly against.
Having been a regular CB'er since I was 14, CB hasn't got the best of reputations, but idiots like you were describing don't make the CBer persona any better either!. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard