ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30620 10/23/03 08:51 PM
S
Has anyone ever used the "climbers gaffs" for getting up a pole? I saw a telephone man doing it today, and he made it look easy?
Looked easier than trying to balance an extension ladder on the side of a pole [Linked Image]
Thanks for the input, Steve...

#30621 10/23/03 09:12 PM
J
I have never used a set, but, would rather have a ladder with the V shaped bar at the to to allow a ladder to rest better on the pole.

Werner ladder shows one under accessories. I tried to paste the picture, but don't know how. Sorry.

#30622 10/23/03 09:54 PM
S
Jim, thanks for the reply. I pulled up Werners web site and got the accessories you mentioned. They have quiet a few that would help when using an extension ladder. Thanks again. About your comment on the "climbers gaffs". I agree that something under you, would seem more secure than climbing the pole. It just looks so easy, but I'm sure it's not as easy as it looks. If you "missed a lick" with one of your feet or if the gaff didn't stick in the pole, looks like it could be awful painful [Linked Image] Probably would take a while to get use to. Thanks again ... Steve.

#30623 10/26/03 05:32 AM
Steve,
I've used climbing gaffs before as a Trainee Line Mechanic.
But all they are used for these days, over here, is as a test for new Trainees.
The Insulated Cherry picker and the use of Pole ladders has more or less ruled out the use of gaffs, as has the wider use of concrete poles for LV/HV lines.
Our pole ladders have a length of chain at the head, covered with hose,between the stiles, which also aids sliding the head end up the pole, when extending it.
Yes, learning to use a set of gaffs, takes a lot of practice, it's a matter of getting your arms and legs co-ordinated and also sinking the gaff spike into the pole surface at the right angle, slip and man does it hurt, it also ruins your confidence to a certain extent too!.
Especially when you are less than half way up the pole. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard