ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30421 10/11/03 04:25 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Bjarney and myself were talking about this guy, that I trained up as an Apprentice Electrician.
This guy came straight off the street into an Electrical Apprenticeship, he was hired on the spot as a favour to my Bosses mate (give the boy something to do!)
But Richard (Tricky Dicky, as he became known), had different ideas on how HIS Apprenticeship should be run!.
This guy was a Health and Safety nightmare to work with, and to a certain extent wrote his own rules in stupidity and this was his own downfall in the end, he was dismissed, within 6 months of finishing his "time" at work.
But Richard even said to me, that his story should be told, however people, it doesn't make for good reading though!. [Linked Image]

#30422 10/11/03 04:42 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
First job I ever done with Richard, he had his own idea on how circuits should be isolated.
He had his own set of shorted plugs (Aus/NZ socket-outlet), plug it in and you find the fuse/CB and he had ES and BC lamp bases too!.
This was all very hard on the nerves, working with him, but it was quite entertaining at times, especially when the Boss found out what Richard had done.
One thing is that my Boss went and saw Richard's father (a Tractor Mechanic) and he was told to go away, in no uncertain terms!.
But Richard must have had a telling-off and a half from his father, because he was into the Boss's office the next day, and My God was he ANGRY!!!! [Linked Image].
I've got a whole heap of these stories to share, just say the word, guys, even Richard said that his story needs to be told, so who am I to let a good story go beckoning?

#30423 10/11/03 07:31 AM
S
sometimes ya just gotta let 'em blow themselves up i guess...

#30424 10/11/03 06:05 PM
P
Well, I suppose his method is one way of identifying the circuit! I hope you never had Federal Pacific breakers down under. [Linked Image]

I'd hate to see what this guy would use to identify big feeder circuits. Just throw a crowbar across the busbars and see which 2000A breaker pops! [Linked Image]

#30425 10/13/03 01:39 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
One day Richard and I were working at a Commercial Alteration, in a Law Firm office and the Builders had removed all of the wall supports for the T-Bar suspended cieling(to re-line the walls with new plasterboard) and the cieling was left hanging there on the Grid support wires.
We were all warned to keep things away from the Grid, as any sideways force could bring it down.
Richard and I were pulling in new cables for the new lights and sockets and I had Richard pulling wires just to one side of the wall, when the wires got jammed and Richard gave a mighty heave on the wires and all hell broke loose, the entire cieling collapsed and tiles, Troffers and bit's of grid went everywhere!.
I'll never forget the builders climbing out from under the wrecked cieling, it was just like that scene from the Blues Brothers, where thier apartment gets blown up by a rocket-launcher.
All I could say was "Congratulations, Richard, better go and tell the Boss".
The Boss was none too happy, but, not as unhappy as the Foreman Builder, I'm not even going to repeat here what he said.
We have to keep this forum in a G-rated format!. [Linked Image]
{Message edited to complete post, phone line needed}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-13-2003).]

#30426 10/18/03 03:10 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Richard and I were working at a new Agricultural Depot (where farmers come and get supplies for thier farms and there is also a shop full of China and assorted "collectables" for the Farmers wives).
I had Richard up on the end of a 30ft wooden extension ladder, clipping cables to a section of cable ladder, that we had installed 3 days earlier, that's OK, I had to go away and do another job and Richard had to go to the Doctor at 4pm, as agreed.
I told Richard to lay the ladder down so that it wouldn't fall, before he left, as it was very windy this day.
Richard lean't the ladder up against a section of scaffolding that the painters had left there and went to his appointment.
I got a nasty phone call from my Boss at 415pm, saying that the scaffolding had collapsed and the ladder had nearly killed a customer as it fell!.
Meanwhile, Richard, burn't his own trail through our jobs! [Linked Image]

#30427 10/18/03 07:24 PM
P
I have worked with many people like that. I call them all "bosses' kids".

Link Copied to Clipboard