ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Electricians revenge
by RODALCO - 05/23/24 02:36 AM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by emolatur - 05/18/24 06:12 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (RODALCO), 35 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30207 10/07/03 08:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 20
If you are going to make a tap connection to the GEC, and it has to be irreversible crimp, what model or type of crimper is used? Is this the same kind that is used in factories to crimp on large sta-kon terminals? We used to do that on large motor leads, when I was doing industrial work. Thanks for any advise.

#30208 10/07/03 10:39 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,081
Can't help you with your actual question, but just wanted to find out if folks prefer using Cadweld to crimping?

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 10-07-2003).]

#30209 10/07/03 11:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,527
Mick — Maybe this link will work for "c-taps." I believe smaller connectors can be crimped with T&B TBM5/6/8 crimp tools. I think Burndy and Penn-Union also have similar parts.

#30210 10/08/03 03:50 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
Thinkgood, I prefer Cadwelds but for me the shop usually already has the molds and loads, so it is almost a no cost solution.

We have a verity of crimping tools also but I can not resist the chance to use a cadweld, [Linked Image] crimping is not as much fun as fire and smoke.

If you have to buy the mold for one use it can be expensive, the same can be said for the crimps, they are cheap but the price of the crimping tool is kind of high if you only need it one time.

I have heard of one use cadwelds but have not used them and I do not know what they cost, but I would think cheaper than either of above.


[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-08-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
#30211 10/08/03 07:35 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 449
I like the one shots by Erico. They cost less than $5.00.

#30212 10/08/03 08:15 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,148
The thing that you have to remember about the use of "crimp" type connections is that the connector must be crimped with a tool that has been listed to crimp that connector. In many cases that means that the tool and the connector must be from the same manufacturer.
From the UL Guide for Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs.
Special Tools- Connectors to be assembled to wire using a special tool are to be assembled using the tool specified by the manufacturer on or in the connector shipping carton. Such tools are identified by appropriate marking.

#30213 10/09/03 08:05 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,294
A lot of supply houses have crimpers and dies that they will loan to you when you buy connectors from them.
As iwire said, Cadwelds are so much more fun. Just don't set one off with your boot below it [Linked Image]...S

#30214 10/14/03 07:40 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 518
The guy who sells the connectors should be able to rent you a crimper- with the right dies!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5