ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Did you ever get an Email from YOURSELF?

Yes, I just got an Advertisement to make Millions in Real Estate sent to me and it was from me!

I looked up the IP address of the true sender and sent a complaint to the provider.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Bill

Bill
R
I think the closest thing like that that happened to me was losing an argument with myself [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Ryan,

I do that all the time ... [Linked Image]
It prepares me for losing to the other members of the Household if you know what I mean.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
Reminds me of the song "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter".
Bill, I've sent a couple of emails to myself to try to figure out why you don't get the ones I send to you. I still don't understand...S

electure,

Were the ones you sent to me returned?
I can see two possibilities why I wouldn't have seen or gotten them (assuming you have my address correct .. [Linked Image] )

One is if it doesn't have words in the subject field that make it stand out from the multitude of Spam I get it might be deleted. RE: ECN Forum or something Electrical in the subject field will catch my eye. I do look for emails with attachments before the Trash gets dumped too, but if an email has an embedded picture it might not be seen.

Another possibility is that you are on a server that was sending a lot of Virusses or spam at one time and it is blocked by our Mail Server.

To try and figure this out please send me something and tell me here in this thread that it was sent and when. I invite anyone else that wants to do the same thing.

Bill

Bill
J
I have gotten email from myslef, or so it appears. Once your e-mail address is on a spam list it is easy enough for the spammer to spoof the from address with any address s/he feels like.

S
geez, like talkin' to myself isn't bad enough......

R
Let's just hope it never gets so bad that you have to file a complaint or charges against yourself. [Linked Image]

Roger

T
Did you ever get an Email from YOURSELF?

It's an old spammer technique. This way, those who use some of the less-sophisticated filters are sure to get the message--people generally don't (or don't want to) filter messages from themselves. (Because of test messages, etc...)

T
Also, domains are configured so that all mail is passed along. For example, "asdflkjsdlfkjsdflkj@electrical-contractor.net" will arrive in whatever mailbox is configured as the "catch-all."

Sometimes spammers use addresses like these to make filtering (based on address) more difficult.

I've been using a (FREE!) piece of software called SpamPal (http://www.spampal.org/) with decent results. It takes some configuring and takes some time for it to "learn" your e-mail trends, but it is a neat little program. (As far as I know, it's Windows-only.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard