ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30036 09/30/03 09:44 AM
T
In all of the pictures/discussions of power transmission equipment, I have noticed that there are four conductors:
Three are "phase" conductors, and one is a "neutral" conductor.

Fast-forward from the power generation, "high-tension" lines, etc. to the wooden poles at the curb here.

There is one primary conductor entering the can, and three secondary conductors exiting--two "legs" of a 120/240 service and the neutral.

The other day, I happened upon a POCO employee and was chatting with him.

He explained to me that the line at the top is a 4kv line, and that no neutral is used on the pole because the can is grounded. Each pole has its own ground rod.

My question is, why do some distribution systems use a neutral wire and the ones here do not?

I asked him if the "messenger" cable was the neutral for the 4kv, he said it's not, it's just that, a messenger cable. If that's the case, is the messenger cable energized also? Are 4kv lines even insulated?

Just wondering.

#30037 09/30/03 10:50 AM
E
We had a discussion about [b]S.W.E.R (single wire earth return)[/b] a while back. It might be helpful.

If your area that you are sussing out is a residential urban or suburban area that incorporates a community water distribution through a metal pipe system, and that has multiple residences connected to single transformer, you will most likely have the 120 / 240 volt single phase secondary neutral acting as the return conductor (as well) for the 4 kV line. This thread discusses this second point, a rather widely used PoCo method.

Al Hildenbrand
#30038 09/30/03 02:23 PM
T
ElectricAL:

Thanks. I thought I had read something here about that, but wasn't sure if this was the same thing. Looks like it is.

Link Copied to Clipboard