ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
AC Offline OP
In performing a partial renovation of a first floor apartment, a customer does not want to upgrade the service at this time but would like to do so in the future, perhaps in several stages. The complete upgrade would consist of placing the circuit breaker panel which is now in the building basement into the apartment, upgrading from 40 to 60 amps (the main service can handle this) and replacing all or most of the old armored cable which has cloth insulated wires.

The customer would like to place the CB Panel in the apartment wall at this time and do the wiring later.

Would it be OK to put the panel in the wall and run wires for the anticipated number of future circuits in Greenfield down to a single box in the basement and use that box for splicing to the branch circuits when that work is done?

Should the anticipated 240V circuit wiring be run into a seperate box than the 120V?

Also, would it be OK to run the wire for the future incoming power to the panel to another box in the basement where in the future, the power from the existing panel will be spliced to it? (And the existing panel would become just a breaker box at the meter location.)

AC
I
If I understand you correctly all of this is OK.

The main issue I see is derating, it sounds like you will have many more than 3 current carrying conductors in your FMC.

Either run multiple FMCs so you do not have so many wires in each or use 10 awg. in the FMC to cover yourself for derating.

Look at 310.15 for more info on this.

You can mix the 120 and 240, I would keep the feeder separate again because of derating issues.

If you have more questions post them and somebody will help out.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard