ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
LK Offline
I New Jersey we took a hit with a storm with less strength then this one, It was the same path they are warning us about. The Ocean met the Bay from Bay Head to Sea Side and all you could see were 2 story roof tops. There were homes all along the Ocean and Bay and they were gone, along with the railroad tracks that went from Bay Head to Sea Side. Ocean City lost a lot of real estate. Sandy Hook went down to half it,s size. I was just a little guy at that time. But I remember my Dad's Eyes tearing as we looked at the damage.

S
gee, no New Englanders with a 'bring it on' tude?

c'mon guys.....get yer mucluks and floppy hats out

[Linked Image]

S
Here's some info on Hurricane Gloria (1985) -- I was 10 at the time, don't remember much - the city didn't get anything.

Apparently according to these two articles, Gloria really tore through Long Island, Connecticut and the rest of New England:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2000/wgloria15.htm
http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hurricanegloria.htm

G
We were discussing this storm at our tests on Saturday. It was historically the meanest ever recorded. It was in 1938, caused massive damage in the DC area, but landfall occurred in Long Island. Geeeez Bill, DUCK.
http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/38hurricane/weather_history_38.html

R
The primary reason that the 1938 hurricane was so damaging was the rain that preceeded it. According to my Dad (6 at the time), it had rained a LOT in the days/weeks before the storm blew through. The ground was fully saturated. When the hurricane hit, trees didn't snap so much as uproot.

I remember the '85 hurricane. Wifey and I were trying to sell our condo in mid-CT. We were without power for 5 days. Shaving by candle-light for a couple of days isn't too bad. Besides, it got the 'fridge cleaned out.

E
As a self procalimed weather nut I say bring it on! While I hate to see people suffer and such I love extreme weather events. Yes I am one of those dopes that shows up to watch the waves pound the shore while normal people stay warm and dry. Can't wait till Nor'easter season!

S
heh~ i'm one of those dopes that disregards all warnings to go out and work in it

yet i still can't hold a candle to the linesmen out there, they really earn it

T
You Yanks are in our prayers! Heed all warnings and get out if need be. Heck, we may even have room for 1 or 2 more of you in Texas.Just don't buy along the Gulf [Linked Image]

Good Luck,
Donnie

Donnie
S
Donnie....

Don't you guys get a lot of TORNADOS in parts of Texas?

Make room in that cellar!!!!!! [Linked Image]

At least with a hurrican you can sort of see it coming. Tornados seem to be more "spur of the moment", correct?

T
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Full size: http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2003257-0914/Isabel2.A2003257.1755.1km.jpg

Large file size!

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 09-16-2003).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard