ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lately, down here in Houston, the temperature has been a cool 102 degrees in the shade. Heck, it hasn't rained in several days or at least a week. We set out to stand several 175' highmast poles today. It was hot, but things were looking good. 150 ton crane for $200.00 an hour, and an 8 hour minimum no problem because we were on a mission. I went and rented a variable message board to alert traffic that lanes would be closed ahead, no problem, $210.00 a day. Had two guys out setting up barrels and advance warning signs to close down a lane on I-10 westbound near downtown Houston, the weather is clear, no problem.
Basically, a 6 man crew plus myself, 2 one ton trucks, a 150 ton crane, an 18 wheel truck, a crane operator, blah, blah, blah...
The rain.....the rain...yes...the rain. I swear the rain passed east of where we were working, stopped, backed up, and rained all over my party. I've never seen rain, stop, and backup, but I swear, I watched it with my own eyes.
I figure that little rain shower cost my company a couple of thousand bucks. I cringe every time I hear a 20% chance of rain. How much does an unexpected rain shower cost your company?

Rain drops keep falling on my.......job...
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
S
musta been what the fab 4 were talking about when they said "you get your tan from standin' in the English rain" Doc

~S

P
The heaviest downpour I recall ever being caught in was in South Carolina. The sky just opened! After crawling through the streets at about 15mph, with the wipers unable to keep a good clear view even on full speed, I finally pulled up outside my motel room and decided to make a dash for the door. It could only have been about 20 ft., but I was absolutely drenched! A half hour later it was clear and bright again, and I didn't see another drop of rain in the next two weeks.

I suppose that's better in many ways than the weather here in England where it often goes a solid week of dreary, gray, non-stop drizzle.

Link Copied to Clipboard