ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#28011 08/07/03 09:23 PM
F
I am trying to figure out how a low voltage pendant light over a sink in a bathroom violates code. A local inspector issued a violation based on the fact that the pendant is within 3 feet of the shower door and not 8ft above.

It is a absolute show-piece bathroom and all of the work is done 100% on the money.

Anyone wish to clarify?

.. what about vanity light bars right next to a sink with "screw in sockets" left empty because people and little kids love to take light bulbs out of the socket. That is allowed still ???

#28012 08/08/03 04:16 AM
I
2002 NEC
410.4(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures), hanging luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

Not much to figure out, the article directly calls out hanging pendent fixtures.

If the fixture is within "the zone" it has to go.

As far as "screw in sockets left empty because people and little kids love to take light bulbs out of the socket" that is beyond NEC control.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#28013 08/08/03 08:36 AM
E
This is one of those areas where the black and white interpretations of the code cause problems. You can have a high volt pendant hanging directly over a sink bowl, but a low volt one too close to the shower isn't allowed.

Some people, not me of course [Linked Image], might take the light down and replace it with a blank plate for inspection, then if the home owner put it back later......

#28014 08/09/03 05:10 PM
F
410.4(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. The End?

Does it say in the article, why that is the case?

And where are all of the usual exceptions. Almost all other articles have at least some.

Could it be that the people writing these articles do not have sufficient knowledge about this "New" technology?

How about "new" Dimmers that are controlled via CAT-5 Network.. which obviously require a CAT5 run into the same single gang 120V device.

What does the code say about that?

Reading some of these articles, it is clear that some of the rules are strictly based on fear of new things and even some ignorance.

Link Copied to Clipboard