ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27851 08/04/03 08:18 AM
G
GEO Offline OP
web site says diecast is better? do we have any thoughts on this? reason for asking-- job was speced steel and it is not, do you forget about price difference? THANKS GEO

#27852 08/04/03 10:46 AM
C
What web site says die cast are better?

I prefer steel fittings and almost never use any die cast. Most projects that have written specifications for things like fittings will require steel fittings. Public works projects often require steel compression fittings. In my area they don't seem to be requiring the compression type now.
Steel does cost a little more but you need to work with you supplier on pricing.

Curt Swartz
#27853 08/04/03 10:56 AM
G
GEO Offline OP
caselec
engineering dept @ www.bptfittings.com

#27854 08/04/03 02:53 PM
I
I would go with what caselec said, I looked at the site (look at contractor corner)
and they say,

The perception that steel fittings will outperform similar type fittings manufactured from die cast zinc is untrue. In fact, just the opposite may be true.

But they do not seem to back this up, they tell you that steel and diecast fittings pass the same test at UL.

Do your own test, couple two 10' EMTs together first with diecast and then with steel.

Hold this straight out from the end and shake well.

Diecast will split, the steel will hold out.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#27855 08/05/03 05:33 PM
G
Gwz Offline
A few years ago I had occasion to use-up a box full of 3/4" old ( 10 to 15 years old ) diecast couplings and some connectors. They were never used before, new but just old.

Almost every one cracked open when tightening the set-screw.

That cured me from using die-cast fittings.

Had installed many-many fresh-off-the-shelf of the same brand, in years gone by, and do not recall having that cracking problem.

#27856 08/05/03 08:53 PM
J
I like the "feel" of steel.
I like the cost of "cast."

One place where the die-cast shine: when you need to remove that inside lip from a coupling, so you can slide it over the pipe.
Sometimes, the plumber cuts through conduit whith his concrete saw. Of course, you need to pull new wire- but how do you repair the pipe? Slide couplings over either end, insert a replacement section of pipe, slide coulpings into place, and tighten. Try removing the lip from a steel coupling, and you'll understand why zinc is preferred.

Link Copied to Clipboard