ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27826 08/02/03 04:17 PM
G
Because the megger thread is getting so long.

Spark-master: Never known anyone getting killed by a megger (hy-pot different story) but it WILL make you talk to yourself for awhile though, as will not discharging your cable.

The URL for AVO is:
http://www.avointl.com/us/index.asp

They have a great library full of books on the subject, and at fairly reasonable prices.

#27827 08/03/03 10:02 AM
P
I still have an older BM-series Megger, which I like.

It's compact enough to be light and easy to carry around, yet the meter scale (yes, a nice old-fashioned analog meter movement [Linked Image]) is large enough to be clearly readable even in less than ideal conditions.

It's switchable for 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000V, so it's handy for testing telecom lines and other similar LV wiring too.

#27828 08/04/03 10:47 PM
I megged myself by accident back when I was in the Nav onboard USS Ranger. As was our routine, before lighting boilers to get underway, we had to go around and meg various motors to insure they weren't grounded before starting. To make a long story short, I snatched the leads off before the megger "bled down", and it put the hurt on me pretty good.

Meg your pardon lady, I thought you were a cow,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#27829 08/04/03 11:54 PM
G
DOC!!!
Good ta hear from ya. The MOST embarrassing megger moment. I'm at Dulles, fussing at a contractor for not finishing his megger tests on time. I know this group pretty well, grabbed the megger and told the tech to write the results as I called them out. I'd megger a set, call out the numbers, and move to the next, not landing them back on the terminals, or grounding them out.

Yup, I leaned up against one. Shortly after my trip across the room, and as soon as the tech and his helper could breathe again, he said "George, did you want me to write that one down??"

Of course, I immediately told them it was a safety demonstration completely put on for their benefit. As soon as I got feeling back in my hands, and the taste of fillings out of my mouth, I got an alligator clip and grounded them all out. Another safety demonstration performed by the Senior Electrical Inspector..... And they think were not dedicated. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard