ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27554 07/21/03 02:12 PM
C
I am in Central N.Y.for the summer(lots of dairy farms)and have been asked to install a new panel and some new ckts in a 140 year old farm house.This looked like a fairly simple job until I went to pull the meter and found that it is not the kind that plugs in but is in a covered weather proof box with a inspection glass for reading the power meter.
After removing the seal(with the POCO permission)I opened the hinged cover and found the GE meter had a glass cover,also with another seal on the metal ring that seals the glass to the meter, and the entire meter assy was hard mounted in the box.
It is very inconvient to schedule the POCO to disconnect the service because of the remote location,so I was thinking about disconnecting the two line sides of the meter,located under two lugs,while it is hot taking all the precautions(insulated gloves&tools, face shield).
Has anyone ever worked with this vintage(1930s) meter box before and if so, are there any tricks to pulling the meter that I am not able to see?Should I accept the inconvience and call the poco to disconnect the service?
Chris

#27555 07/21/03 04:06 PM
Tom Offline
Are there any exposed busbars with big nuts in the middle of the bar? If so, loosen the nuts with a nutrunner & this will turn off the power. I am still running across these really old meters, I think the POCO here calls them A Base meters.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#27556 07/21/03 06:11 PM
S
A frame meters are, IMO, best left alone, better to cut the service at the peak
( assuming an OH) Chris.

Link Copied to Clipboard