ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
I belong to a model airplane club which has a old mobile home as a clubhouse. The clubhouse is located off a dirt road in a rural. We often hold events open to the public and sometimes charge people to participate.

We have electrical service with several outside outlets. When we have public events with a number of participants, we run extension cords from inside the clubhouse to trailers and motor homes parked nearby.

Am I correct in thinking that we should have GFI protection on all the outlets, both inside and outside the clubhouse? How can I convince the other members that it's necessary? In my mind, we are running a real risk by not having GFIs on everything, but I can't seem to get the point across to some of the others.

Thanks,
Roger

T
If the outlets are 30 or 50 amp RV outlets, then no GFCI protection is required. However, if this is just standard 120 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacles, then GFCI is required.

Donnie
W
All the outlets are 120 volts 15 amp three-prong receptacles.

Roger

S
I'm the proverbial broken gfi record.

I did have some useful GFI links, good layman stuff, that is before my old 'puter crapped out

so many links, many from here, in the landfill

anyone here care to post a few?

R
Sparky, I don't have any quick links but, I do have some words that might be worth thinking about.

Roger, tell them about liability, law suits, guilt over someone getting hurt, LOOSING everything etc...

If you charge or not, when you allow the public into a situation anywhere less than the safest you can make it, you are walking on thin ice even now. (July) [Linked Image]

Take Sparky's post as a spring board and do a search for GFCI's

Roger

D
Talk to the other members... if you're paying dues, tell 'em you'll buy and install the GFI's in lieu of next year's dues [Linked Image].

Or maybe the "Mystery GFI Bandit" could strike one night, and mysteriously change all the outdoor receptacles, finding his compensation in knowing he's made the world (or the clubhouse) a safer place for humanity...

<disclaimer> DougW in no way condones the unsanctioned or unauthorized replacing of unsafe electrical installations without proper permission or permits... no matter how bull headed, ignorant, or cheap the property owners, managers, or tenants are. Really.

Don't try this at home. We are trained professionals.

Don't run with that stick, you'll put out your eye. <disclaimer>

W
Actually, I went one better and offered to pay $400 toward installing GFI breakers, new wiring, outlets, etc on the condition that it be done by a qualified electrician with a permit/inspection. I also made the point about the liability in the event of an accident. The response from the club president and some other members was that I should go somewhere else if I was so concerned about it.

Their position is: "It's been this way for a loooong time, and no one's been killed yet." Won't that sound good in court?

I think it's pretty hopeless. Thanks for the pointers, though.

Roger

R
You could always put on a demo for them. Set up a 10-20 gallon fish tank, full of water. Run an extension cord from their outlet to a metal case drill. Using 600volt gloves, turn the drill on, and lock it on. Drop it into the water (watch out for splashing water) and then pull it out. Still runs until you turn it off. Now, using either a gfci protected cord, or a gfci plug in unit, do the same demo. As soon as the drill touches the water, the gfci will trip. Explain way this works this way, while you are doing it. Be careful, use gloves, and an old drill, as exposure to water will probably ruin it.

You might want to try this yourself a few times, to get the most bang for your buck.

I have performed this demo a couple of times, and always got a positive responce from the crowd.

Good luck, and you should be commended for trying to make the world a safer place!!

Rick Miell

H
Ii have a suggestion, bring along with you some extension cords that have the GFI built right in. Then just use them. Like they do on construction sites. Tell the other guys, that at least you feel safer now and no one will get hurt.

S
it would be nice to have CMP-20's advocation for pools here as well.......

Link Copied to Clipboard