ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27249 07/06/03 04:29 PM
A
After years of snatching cable, crawling on joist, bending pipe and running up and down ladders, it has finally caught up with me. I have suffered from back pain for ten years but I had no idea how bad off i was until i went for a MRI this week. I was shocked to find out that my back had given up on me. One disc with a massive rupture crushing my S1 nerve (L5-S1), another with a tear in it (L4-L5) and a third with a buldge (L3-L4).

The MRI was prompted by a loss of feeling below my left knee running through my toes. I have no reflexes on that foot which makes it impossible to climb a ladder or do just about anything.

This is just a reminder to make you guys think about how fragile our most important tool is. I have worked for days dealing with the pain, when i should have stopped and given my body a rest. But being the boss, i drudged ahead knowing that the job had to get done. Well i have realized that the job is not the most important thing now.

I am interested to know if any of you have suffered from ruptured disc(s) and how you treated the problem. I have been told by two doctors (othepedic and neuro surgeons) that surgery is the only hope to restore the feeling in my left leg.

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 07-06-2003).]

#27250 07/06/03 05:48 PM
E
Hey Ron,

I've had back problems for years also. Mine was caused by doing jobs that require 2 people by myself. I've learned now to get help and not to move 16 ft A frame ladders by myself, etc.

I found that a Chiropractor can do wonders and it may be something you want to consider. A surgeon is going to tell you that surgery is the answer because that's all they know. They may be right, but it's worth a second opinion to avoid the knife. On the other hand, Chiropractors think they can cure anything and while I think they can help, they aren't a cure all either. Sorry to hear of your problems.

#27251 07/06/03 07:30 PM
S
I have back problems from an auto accident. L4/L5 is fragmented and L3/L4 is compressed. After years of living on pain killers, I am now being treated by a Chiropracter that uses a combo of adjustment, massage and acupuncture. It is working wonders. I recomend trying those things before surgery. Richard

#27252 07/06/03 08:27 PM
S
a regular MD will usually not refer to a chriopractor as the AMA, (and it's empirical standards) does not'formally' recognize alternate medicine here.

find what works for you Ron, but remember that if you allow the Doc's to cut you, you forfiet many alternatives.

#27253 07/07/03 09:15 AM
J
JBD Offline
I had a degenerated disc (L4-L5) which caused shooting pain down my leg (I could not even roll over in bed). After 5 months, two chiropractors and a physical therapist all said they could not help and suggested surgery. 1-1/2 hours after surgery all back pain was gone.

I came from a family where dad said " learn to live with the little aches". I can't believe how much pain I put up with for so long, because I felt the expert (the surgeon) just wanted to get rich.

#27254 07/07/03 01:47 PM
B
arseegee, you are probably going to want the opinion of a second or third orthopedic surgeon. The more answers, the better.

After surgery, please don’t let the pain meds take over.

#27255 07/07/03 02:27 PM
B
My recent experience has been a diversion after a path through both of the standard routes already mentioned prompted by a car accident a year ago tomorrow. (Wow, how time flies whether or not you're having fun!)

My first visit was to my Primary Care Physician - a regular doctor. He referred me to a physical therapy group who managed to help me with some movement and some very short-lived pain relief (until I left their office basically).

My first doctor then referred me to get an MRI which I did and an x-ray and then on to a neurosurgeon. Thankfully, the neurosurgeon said he didn't see a need for surgery nor did I have bone damage or nerve damage but all soft tissue which impinged nerves at times. He then referred me to a physiatrist - a doctor specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (see http://www.aapmr.org/condtreat/what.htm for more info).

She assessed my situation and was able to refer me to a rolfer (deep tissue work on the facia lining each muscle that acts as a tension maintainer for your upward stature, according to the info) and to Pilates for retraining muscles that forgot what they were there to do and generally strengthening me to hold myself upright.

I think the key person in the chain was the Physiatrist because they want you to regain your abilities and they seek out solutions of a wide variety to get you to that point. She could have sent me to a surgeon just as easily and willingly as she could send me to a chiropractor, rolfer or other alternative medicine provider.

#27256 07/07/03 04:58 PM
A
Thanks for all your replies. I am having a steroid injection next week. And then on to a spine clinic a few days later to get another opinion. Every one that i have spoke with who has had the surgery says the same things as JBD. I'll keep you posted.

Maybe I'll have to head north and get a job answering the phones for Electric Eagle, as long as the handset is not too heavy! lol...jk!

#27257 07/07/03 09:07 PM
E
Come on up Ron, I could use someone to answer the phone right now. Having a hard time returning the calls. Today I returned calls from last Wednesday, amazingly everyone has still interested and hadn't found another EC.

Link Copied to Clipboard