ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#26789 07/20/03 09:35 AM
D
It really depends on the locale, as Sparky sez...

At my VFD (under Illinois law), we can allow someone to perform interior structural FF ops if the AHJ feels the person has "demonstrated appropriate knowledge and abilities to perform the required tasks" or some such language. In my VFD, that mean you've been through the SCBA classes, been through a few "live (training burns" out at the drill building, and know what hoses are used when - generally about 6-9 months of weekly drills. (Of course, there have been times when we've gotten fires in the middle of the day, and if you're breathin', you're going in, cause we're not getting a whole lot of folks showing up. Generally, it's the officer's call)

On my paid dept, the "industry standard" is 10 weeks of full-time "academy" training - 8 weeks for FFII (a 240 hr state certification - basically the entire IFSTA Essentials), plus two 40-hour classes - one in HazMat Awareness/ops, and one for Technical Rescue (confined space/trench/high angle) Awareness. Of course, that's just to ride the BRT (big red truck) [Linked Image]. Most of the FT departments in the Chicago metro are providers of Paramedic level EMS, so there's EMT Basic, and then Paramedic as well. (five and eleven months, respectively, plus clinical and field time). For a full-time gig, it's basically a two year period before you're really "street ready".

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 07-20-2003).]

#26790 08/09/03 07:48 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
What I would like to do is move this Discussion to the Occupational Safety Forum, if that's OK with Bill Addiss?.
What I was originally trying to do, was start a Topic that could give all and any FF's at ECN a go at submitting info on Fire-Fighter Safety and the like.
It is not a chance to have a B@*&h about your particular Fire Department and it's short-falls or other-wise.
Bill, could you please do this?. [Linked Image]

#26791 08/09/03 12:13 PM
Administrator
Thread moved >> ECN Fire-Fighters

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard