ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26730 06/20/03 01:05 PM
Here's another Scam going around, I got a number of them last nite:
Dear customer,

Recently we have received an order made by using your personal credit card information.
This order was made online at our official BestBuy website on 06/19/2003.
Our Fraud Department has some suspicions regarding this order and we need you to visit a special Fraud Department page at our web store where you can confirm or decline this transaction by providing us with the correct information.
Your e-mail address has been taken from National Credit Bureau.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORDER# 1095619 - STATUS: SUSPENDED
ITEMS PURCHASED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item No: 73890
CDA-9815 In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller
Price: $387.65 Qty: 2 Total: $775.3
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The order listed above has not yet been processed.
The reason for the delay in processing your order is:

- UNVERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS

- Information provided:
Shipping
41 WINHAM ST
Staten Island, NY 10306
United States
phone# 206-337-9843

In our effort to deter fraudulent transactions, we need your help in providing us with the correct information. Your prompt response is needed to avoid any unauthorized charges to your credit card.
Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

Bill
#26731 06/20/03 01:09 PM
And, I got the following from BestBuy this morning:

IMPORTANT: E-MAIL HOAX NOTIFICATION

Late Wednesday afternoon, June 18, 2003, Best Buy became aware of an unauthorized and deceptive e-mail to consumers titled "Fraud Alert." That e-mail message, which requested personal information (i.e., social security and credit card numbers), claimed to come from the BestBuy.com Fraud Department. That message was NOT from Best Buy or any of our affiliates.

Best Buy is working with the appropriate law enforcement authorities to quickly resolve the situation. We are working to shut down sites affiliated with that unauthorized e-mail and Best Buy will work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute any perpetrators involved in this illegal act to the fullest extent of the law. If you replied to the fraudulent
e-mail in any way, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately.

No Best Buy systems have been compromised, and our online business is secure. The privacy of your personal information is of the utmost importance to Best Buy and any information you provide to us is handled according to our Privacy Policy.

As part of the preparation for the relaunch of BestBuy.com, online purchasing will be temporarily unavailable beginning Friday, June 20; however, our product information and helpful resource articles will still be available. Rest assured, the fraudulent e-mail will not affect the launch of our redesigned Web site.

If you have any questions, call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289) or visit our Online Pressroom.

To find out more about protecting your information, visit the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Web site at www.consumer.gov/idtheft.

Thank you for being a valued Best Buy customer.

Bill
#26732 06/20/03 06:55 PM
Bill,
Looks like someone is out to make some easy money.
I wonder how many people will be "sucked in" by this?.
These scams are getting more and more crafty as time goes on and it's getting harder to sort out the scams from the legitimate orders, these days!. [Linked Image]

#26733 06/20/03 10:23 PM
Trumpy,

Yes, and with the viruses it is getting so that I won't open up anything from anyone unless the attachment is mentioned specifically by name in the email text and it is from someone I know.

Bill

Bill
#26734 06/20/03 10:44 PM
Here's a little TidBit:

(According to the US Federal Trade Commission) "68 percent of all fraudulent foreign money offers come from companies located in Africa. Sixty-one percent of prize and sweepstakes offers, meanwhile, are from companies in Canada."

This is from a recent Article here

Bill
#26735 06/20/03 11:30 PM
Bill,
I just want to relate a story that occured here in Ashburton, regarding this type of fraud.
We had a livestock firm here in town that it's Managing Director, had hooked up with this crowd in Nigeria.
He used all of the money, that was supposed to be paid to local farmers, for stock sold through his company, it amounted to NZ$1.3million and gave a "donation" to this crowd in Africa, it was to buy some sort of liquid to clean up this dirty money,which would be paid back to this guy, +interest, believe me, it was really dodgy!!.
When the local farming community found out what had happened, he skipped the country and was found dead in a Hotel in London, 3 weeks later.
But how on earth could you be so gullible to give away such a large amount of money to someone you don't even know and what makes it even worse, the money wasn't even his in the first place!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard