ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26457 06/12/03 06:44 PM
A
amp-man Offline OP
What would you do with the equipment grounding conductor for a new branch circuit (small appliance circuit) that will originate at a subpanel supplied via a three-wire feed (no grounding conductor)?

The feeder to the subpanel originates in a subpanel (formerly the house main panel) that is itself supplied by a three-wire feeder from the new service panel.

Would you--

1) install a GFCI, not connect the branch ckt ground (EGC), and label the outlet "no equipment ground"?
2) land the branch ckt EGC on the grounded (neutral) bus at the subpanel, after checking the integrity of the neutral back to the service entrance?
3) install an EGC bus and set up the neutral bus as a floating bus in the subpanel from which the new circuit will originate, and run an EGC back to the service entrance?
4) other?

The problem I see with #2 is that if the neutral back to the service entrance were to be disconnected or damaged, the EGC of the new circuit could wind up carrying up to full line voltage.

In contrast, if a service neutral is lost, the grounding electrode system will provide some degree of return for the current. Has anyone ever run across a situation where the service neutral was lost, and the grounding electrode impedance was high, causing a dengerous voltage to be impressed on the equipment grounding conductors?

I see the problem with #3 being the amount of time it would take.

Plese vote! (and let me know why you made the choice you did)

Yes, please vote, or as they say in Cook County, Illinois, "Vote early and often!".

For the benefit of you British and European ECNers, Cook County is where Chicago is located, and infamous for voting fraud.

Thanks--

Cliff

#26458 06/12/03 10:15 PM
E
I would install a ground bar in the sub panel and isolate the neutrals from the EGC. You should be able to ground to the nearest cold water pipe and make sure (or add) the water pipe is attached to a supplemental ground rod. There's no nee to go back to the meter. I would repeat this for the other sub panel also.

#26459 06/13/03 05:54 AM
I
You want to look at 2002 NEC 250.134(C)Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions.

While this tells us you can hook up to
Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as described in 250.50

250.50 tells us
Interior metal water piping located more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall not be used as a part of the grounding electrode system

So you can not hook up any grounds to the water pipe that is more than 5 feet from the point of entrance.

But 250.134 gives many options that you might want to look through to see which one will work for you.

1) Maybe, see 406.3(D)

2)Absolutely not, this would violate 250.142(A)

3)Best choice following the rules in 250.134

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#26460 06/13/03 08:32 PM
M
I am curious as to why the sub panel isnt of the 4 wire variety? Is it run in pipe? Could you install a grounding bushing and a nuetral bar? Or run the gfci and label it no equipment ground.

Please let me know what you did, Thanks

Mike

#26461 06/16/03 02:51 PM
S
SJT Offline
Am I reading the situation correct? You have 2 supanels? Can you run the ckt. back to where ever the main panel is?

#26462 06/16/03 11:17 PM
A
amp-man Offline OP
Thanks for the replys/suggestions.

There are two subpanels (in series). There was originally the main panel and a sub, then the house was added onto, and a new service was installed. So the former main panel became sub 1 and the sub became sub 2.

There is no floating neutral terminal bar in subpanel 2, I think because it is old (50's, maybe). Although I recall someone on this forum once asked when the requirement that the neutral and ground be separated except at the service, and I recall the reply being 1949 or earlier. And sub 1 doesn't have a floating neutral bar because it was formerly the main. And none of the circuits have equipment grounding conductors (EGCs), anyway.

At any rate, sub 2 is a zinsco, in good shape. And I have a good stock of old Zinsco breakers from panel replacements and old house teardowns.

I don't know if it'd be practical to run an EGC back to the service and add a floating neutral bar to sub 1 and sub 2. It certainly wouldn't be cost-effective. If the client wants to upgrade the other circuits to have EGCs, I'll recommend replacing the panels.

What I'll do for the small appliance circuit that triggered my question is leave the EGC unconnected at both ends and mark the GFI receps "no equipment ground".

Thanks again for the input.

Cliff

#26463 06/17/03 12:32 AM
S
Cliff, how is sub1 fed from the main? 3 wire cable or 3 wires in pipe?

Steve
#26464 06/17/03 12:53 AM
A
amp-man Offline OP
stamcon,

I think I know where you're going with this--if thre's a raceway and it's steel, we've got a 4-wire feed and so could isolate the neutrals at sub 1, then run an EGC to sub 2 and isolate the neutrals there! Right?

Unfortunately, the feeder from the main to sub 1 is three-wire romex, and the feeder to sub 2 is thre-wire as well, old rag-and-tar romex (about the diameter of a garden hose!) At least all the feeders are copper!

I considered running an EGC from sub 2 back to the service panel, and separating the neutrals, but I'm not sure that sub 2 has the room in it to add a floating neutral bar.

I'm going to go with the "no equipment ground" labelling option. It's truly the most cost-effective approach.

Thanks much for spending the time--

Cliff

#26465 06/17/03 08:31 AM
R
Cliff,
If this is a new branch circuit, you don't have the option of using a non-grounded, GFCI protected receptacle. The exceptions that permit this only apply to the replacement of a two wire receptacle or to the extension of an existing two wire branch circuit. The only code compliant options that you have are to run a new 4 wire feed to the sub-panel or run the new branch circuits back to the service panel.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#26466 06/17/03 08:42 AM
S
SJT Offline
If one of the sub panels were to be corrected, all four conductors would have to be ran back to the main panel, correct? You wouldn't be allowed (I think) to run a ground conductor to a water pipe and go to a ground bus in the panel(sub), and just run 2 hots and a nuetral back to the main. It must be a big house, if you don't want to bring a ckt. back to the main panel.

Link Copied to Clipboard