I am currently working in Korea and this is an article from a Korean newspaper.
(kinda long but interesting)
Heaviest Rain in 37 Years Leaves 54 Dead-Missing in Seoul.
> Torrential rain hit Seoul over the weekend, especially during the early
> hours Sunday when the greatest amount of rainfall per-hour in 37 years
> struck the capital. The rain front is forecast to move South to the
> Chungcheong and southern provinces where it is feared it will cause more
> damage than in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province, which are still under a heavy
> rain alert.
> Some 99.5mm of rain fell in an hour in the Seoul area, flooding some
> 14,000 houses (9,775 in Seoul, 1,841 in Incheon and 3,374 in Bucheon and
> Goyang), subway stations, Gangnam Express Bus Terminal, while about 200
> passenger cars parked at the roadside near the Dongbu arterial road were
> inundated as the Jungnyang tributary river overflowed the Jungnyang and
> Wolgye bridges.
> As of 3:00pm Sunday, 310.1mm of rainfall was recorded in Seoul, 219.5mm in
> Incheon, 148mm in Yangpyeong, 217.3mm in Chuncheon, and 165.5mm in
> Hongcheon.
> Human casualties numbered 40 dead with 14 missing.
> Eight vacationers at Gapyeong, Gyeonggi Province were listed as missing
> after they were washed away by the flooding river early Sunday and a
> 52-year-old woman died when a wall around Seokyeong University collapsed
> on to the roof of her house.
> At 6:00am Sunday, three young men, Yoon Seung-jae, 27, Lee Jin-myeong, 25,
> and Hong Sun-hu, 21, were found dead on the road in front of Jinheung
> Apartments in Seocho-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul. A witness, Choi Deok-yeong,
> 20, said he was trying to cut across the road inundated with rain water
> reaching as high as 120cm at around 4:00am, when suddenly he heard Hong
> cry out "electricity, electricity!" and saw him lose consciousness and
> disappear into the water. Choi said that he and his friends escaped the
> tragedy by climbing on to a nearby wall.
> Police estimated that two other bodies found near Hong also drowned after
> losing consciousness due to an electric shock. An office worker Park
> Min-gyu, 31, said he suddenly felt a wave of electricity coming up his
> body as he walked past a road lamp, located at the site of the accident.
> Park said he blacked out for about 5 seconds but managed to come to and
> get away from the water.
> The Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) announced the side lamps are
> managed by the district office and, therefore, are not their
> responsibility, adding that since the lamps operated at 220v, if they
> become flooded with water, the electricity can travel for several meters
> in the vicinity.
> Meanwhile, Seocho-gu Office stated that streetlamps went out at around
> 4:20am, but that they could not fix them until around 8:00am because the
> area was immersed in water.
> Similar accidents occurred in Gyeonggi Province and Incheon. An office
> worker, 25, drove his girlfriend, 22, to her house at around 2:15am but
> they both died from electric shocks. A witness, 29-year-old Baek said the
> road was flooded with water and as the woman tried to come out from the
> car she slipped and grabbed on to the electric pole. Then the boyfriend
> tried to hold the woman's hand they both passed out.
> In addition, a woman, 42, and a man in his mid-thirties died while waiting
> for the lights to change at a crosswalk outside Gwangmyeong station in
> Gwangmyeong, Gyeonggi Province as electricity discharged from a nearby
> streetlamp.
> KEPCO's Inspection director Jeong Ki-yong said electrocution accidents
> occur when the poles fall down or when water fills the switch box located
> at the bottom of the lampposts. Jeong said that most poles have devices to
> prevent short circuits but that they are of little use if water suddenly
> increases, as it did during the weekend.
> To this a lawyer commented that if the people definitely died of
> electricity shock, then the families should file lawsuits against the
> government for negligence in management of streetlamps and electricity
> pylons.