ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
...phenolic or melamine (stiff plastic) device plates without cracking them around the screw-holes?

I've cracked so many over the years because I always tighten the screw a bit _too_ much.

I favor metal plates because you can securely tighten them and don't have to worry about them working loose from hard use. I've got this thing against screws working loose... [Linked Image]

Not to mention that with a tin wall plate you don't have to worry about jerks who slam furniture against the wall and shatter the plate. My kid bro did that once...slammed his bed against the wall socket (with a bakelite wall plate) and broke half the plate in two - half of it fell behind the bed.

I can't believe he was using it in that state...and never electrocuted himself! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 05-22-2003).]

J
Sven,

Switch to the nylon plates from P&S. You can just about fold them in half without breaking. They are slightly oversized too.

E
Just go easy on the screw. Thats the trick. As for having a "thing about screws working loose" I can't help you with that but I bet theres a support group somewhere. [Linked Image]

It's a "feel" thing... I've cracked many plates trying to get my wrist tuned to the torque limit...

Jimmy has only cracked one plate in the 6 months he's worked. I'm impressed!

Those nylon things are so ugly, all dimpled and shiny... Ugh. I've even replaced the stock GFCI plates with "hard" decoras when in nicer homes.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
CRW Offline
Make sure the device isn't sunk into the wall a little bit. That will put more pressure on the plate and snap it before you think it's on enough. Even though the yoke may be flush on the sheet rock, it can flex in a bit, and the added distance (especially on receptacles) will mess things up.

Z
Tight'em till they crack, back'em off a half!....... [Linked Image]

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
S
A devices proper fit in a wallbox portuding from a wall plate ( by code) will allow for a clean plate install.

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Thanks guys! [Linked Image]

I'm noticing that the new generation of stiff plastic plates for standard double-sockets have a thick rib around the screw holes...

I've used the nylon ones. Yes, they don't crack but the soft plastic makes me worry about the thing flexing on the edges - they seem so chintzy. Maybe I worry too much.... [Linked Image]

What came on the market first, brass and tin plates or plastic plates? Or was it about the same?

Link Copied to Clipboard