ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Macwire,
Ain't QUITE that bad, but I don't think I am going back to any sort of production work, unless someone needs to lose money [Linked Image]

There are things you need to be aware of though, and I offer myself as a horrible example. We were not made aware of these things until way too late, now days they handle that very differently. I feel there's some good, and some bad about this stuff.

Don't mean to scare ya. Good trade and people do look out for ya a whole lot more than they did then.

N
Macwire;

I have been working in this trade since '89, and compared to most of these guys I am just a pup. The one thing I can say for sure is that this is the greatest trade I have ever had the HONOR to work in.

Don't give up trying to get in. IMO it does not matter weather you get int the IBEW, or if you have to start out with a non-union shop, this is the ultamate in all construction trades.

You may run across a few JW's and owners that have an attitude, but I would say 99% of the people in this trade are the most helpfull, generous(sp),and caring people in construction.

Best of luck,

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
S
What can we say Jon?

Two flashed, scarred, hammered, arthritic thumbs up !
[Linked Image]

L
I agree with WOCOLT. Yet, if you have concerns (concerns that you may not be able to handle the strain) then you should think about doing something different. We are consistantly running up and down ladders, military rolling under houses [Linked Image]--and jumping in attic snow (insulation for those who do not get it) for long periods of time. Lots of drilling, and hammering. Also, the wirenuts will wear your wrist out in time! Yet, it can be very rewarding. I would say the abuse from "some" JM's are worse than a sore back, or a broken leg! LOL

U
Having benn in this trade since '77, and having a part time stint in stage and concert lighting too, I always believe that a man is what a man does, or so the commercial goes. The best tool that you have is your head. Use It. I've been recently diagnosed and am taking treatment for lung cancer. I've never smoked, and doing what I do now, don't believe I've been exposed to asbestos. But one of the scariest things that bothers me is that I might die, and in that havent't done all the things that I want to do in this trade. If you love what you do, chances are you'll do well. Another contractor has a motto in that "if you take care of the trade, it will take care of you". These might all be cliche's but there is truth in all of them. I tried to get onto the apprenticeship, but didn't get in the 2 times I tried. I ended up being self taught. Because I love the trade, I did well. I hold a masters license and numerous other certifications. I also am one of my town's electrical inspectors, although I'm off on leave now. During the day, I still go into work as electrical superintendent at the O'Hare Airport in Chicago as much as I can. My point being is that if you too have the ove for what you do, you will do well. But while you are doing it, don't be a hero. Get assistance if you need it. Get as much traing along the way and never stop. I still go back to journeyman night school to this day, to keep me as versatile and up to date as I can. Learning never ends. Using your head shouldn't either.

B
All good wisdom offered here as far as I can tell.

It wouldn't hurt, if you have some time, to learn a bit about how PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) works, learn how to properly go up and down a ladder, lift boxes, reels or other stuff correctly to avoid back strain or injury, learn about repetitive strain injuries or cumulative trauma disorders (from those wingnuts, typing a bazillion estimates, bids, invoices, surfing the net or drawing up schematics and diagrams for countless hours) and how to avoid the worst of the chemicals, conditions, particles, ailments and what have you that may greet you. Princeton has some free info if you're interested at http://www.princeton.edu/~ehs/h&sguide/TofCon.htm and there's some anatomy info at http://www.medicalmultimediagroup.com/opectoc.html but I couldn't find a whole lot of FREE info even though I'm certain it's out there floating around in cyberspace.

Also, you might consider investing in some interpersonal communication training (even if you're self-taught) to ensure that your interaction with GC, AHJ's, and other sordid rogues and ruffians doesn't stress you (or them, I guess) to the point of creating a problem.

Last but not least, ensure that you save your sanity with some down time - vacations, weekends, etc.

R
US Coreman, our prayers and best wishes are with you.

Please keep us informed as to how things are going, of course it will always be improvement. [Linked Image] We have faith.

Roger

G
Amen Roger. [Linked Image] My problems are very small ones.

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 05-21-2003).]

B
Hey Mac!
Best advice I can give you is to take a hatha yoga (the easier kind), pilates or stretching class. I'm 46 now and am in good shape with a healthy body. Stretching also relieves the aches and pains from physical work.
However, I've had problems wearing tool belts all day, they make my left side lower back numb. I've solved that problem with wearing bib overalls or work pants that hold just what I need. I am of the strong opinion that you don't need to carry every damn tool on your body! I know the boss doesn't want you to go back and forth for tools, but it saves your body so you can do your work and not call in sick 'cause you have to go to the chiropractor, etc.
Also, very important, don't let anyone intimidate you to do anything unsafe. The first shop I worked for had the JW's wanting you to stand on top of 12' 3 legged red top ladders! I refused.
Lesson here: love your work, but don't kill yourself doing it!

B
US Coreman, my prayers are with you, too! My mom's a cancer survivor and I'm amazed by her fortitude, strength, peace of mind, etc. and how much she has come through.

Brian, good point about the stretching. I'm using pilates to assist in physical therapy after a car accident and it helps a lot!! Strength training is great (like lifting) and it helps build heavier bone mass which wards off brittle bones (osteoperosis) but flexibility through stretching and good inner strength & stability through muscle tone and abdominal strength and balance will keep you from getting injured as you place demands on your body.

A word about Pilates though... it AIN'T for sissies! It's a subtle difference between doing the exercises correctly and incorrectly and the best way to get started is with a qualified instructor so you don't hurt yourself and train your muscles to do the wrong thing. The workout can wear a person out but you'll know where every little abdominal muscle is!

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 05-26-2003).]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard