ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 376 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#25760 05/18/03 09:11 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
EC's get GC'd

That's part of the grand facade played out daily for us.

The dispute starts when GC's downplay our trades funtion to the customer, misleading them into thinking that we actually have less work to achieve end results.

As such.... GC, customer, or both rate confrontation pertinent to compliance.

Any Kissenger of the Trade stories out there?

#25761 05/18/03 09:47 PM
T
Visited with another contractor Friday that I have known for about 10 years or so. This guy owns a union shop in Houston and has been in business for many,many years( He's probably early 70ish ) He does mostly design build. His philosophy is; (at the risk of pissing off many due to it's politically incorrectness ) is to not offer a bid to GC's, doctors,lawyers, Asians, or Indians (far east) and has done well for himself and family through the years. He has the same problems as all of us with dead beats that don't want to pay after work is completed or just want a price so that they can go to their favorite contractor with it to get him to lower his(her) price. The GC's can be one pain in the a$$ as well as the wallet.

< the above philosphy is not txsparky's. He will bid with and perform work for any Paying Customer

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 05-18-2003).]

Donnie
#25762 05/18/03 09:59 PM
G
I have one GC with whom it's a constant battle to be code compliant on a cost-plus custom home much less one of his specs.

And I'm going toe to toe with the owner of a campground who is building a 20 rm. motel,and insists because there,s no building inspections here that she shouldn't spend the money for smoke alarms,exit/emergency lights etc.

I truly wish Harold or John could AHJ here for one month.Of course it would probably take both,and they'ed have to carry mace. I,d take 30 days off and ride with them just for the satisfaction of seeing the look on peoples faces when they had to rip out half the wiring in the house and (GASP) pay an EC to do the job.

Russell

#25763 05/18/03 10:08 PM
F
hey russel do you need more support to shake this stubborn tree ??? but i have deal some GC'S they are pain in le butt also try to cut the corner on me and i got smart one of my freind is ajh inspecter and the inspecter really chew this guy out in spainsh ( sorry i cant catch what he say about it i am fluet with french) and have to tear the wall apart and put new wires that can meet the commercal codes !! what a idoite anyway some comester can stiff you too. the worst one i have to go after is D.I.Y'S they are the worst area i have to deal with most of them never read the state and nec codes !! [Linked Image] ! i can chat more about it but i will wait until other members responde here

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#25764 05/18/03 10:49 PM
G
Marc,when you try to explain NEC compliance to most folks in an uninspected area,I'd be just as well off speaking French. [Linked Image]

#25765 05/18/03 10:51 PM
N
Sparky
I see GC are just as much of a pain for you as for me. Just had to file a lawsuit to get paid. Gc told me that I had to release my lien for 45 days before he would write my check. He is already 45 days late. He also want to arguee about my price now that the job is done. It will be a cold day in H*** before he get another bid from me, and until the lien is released the house cannot be sold. New owner is calling but will not tell me if the GC was paid or not. Real estate company is calling but claims not to know anything about the GCs contract to build the house- strange since they hired the GC.
Just another jacka** trying to rip off his subs. Plumber and HVAC are filing thier suits next week.
IMO we need a federal law that would send these type of jerks to jail for life. Wording and enforcement would get screwed up by our politicians probally rather quickly.
Oh well another day another jacka**. [Linked Image]

ed
#25766 05/19/03 06:40 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
heh~
jacka** the movie w/GC bloopers?
My state has no criterior for GC's, or HI's, sometimes the two are the same person!

So i am constantly trying to communicate effectively. (Lewis Tagliaferre's article on pg 68 of Jan 03'EC mag should be required reading)

This becomes the true art of the deal for me, win or loose dependent on my oratory savey, not to drift into pontification of the NEC.... [Linked Image]

#25767 05/19/03 07:21 AM
Started a job already two weeks behind (electrically) with no electrical plans, very little information and sudden "deadlines"...

Heh, it's the GC causing the stink, not the EC I'm subbing from...

Today I may even pull off the job just to show 'em who's in control here. If I'm too slow, they can wait for somebody else to have time and I guarantee that to take more time than I do...

Grrrrr...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#25768 05/19/03 07:59 AM
W
Or you arrive at the job late, because you had to stop and pick up material, just to find one of the carpenters running wire, because the GC told him to finish up one section because they want to drywall today, and you find they made splices in the wall without a box and behind the shower stall.
ON that job I called the local inspector and Bi#$%$# up a storm and shut it down for about 2 1/2 days. But I am old and can get away with it..... I guess.
As I explained to the inspector, this job is on MY ticket, and if there is a mistake I want to make it, not be blind sided by some sneaky GC, becuase hes behind on his schedule.

Wm.Colt

#25769 05/19/03 09:08 AM
R
I always refused jobs from lawyers and churches, even when cost-plus was offered. I received that advice from an old timer who had been bitten by those groups.

Rowdy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard