ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rayh78 Offline OP
2 questions please.
Have 3 halogen under counter fixtures hooked together. each fixture has 3 bulbs and a rocker switch for two levels of dimming. Fixtures from Lowes made by good earth lighting. Keep getting bad transformers, thier customer service will send new transformers but they say have had problems if they are on too much and built up heat. Trans is 115V in and output 11.5V 60 watt max for each. Question, can I delete transformers and cheap switches and get one transformer to replace the 3 seperate ones somewhere to mount in a remote box & power with a regular wall dimmer switch. Is this a good idea. would get different brand but like brass housing on the fixtures.
Also Used my digital fluke to test transformer but would not read the 11.5 volts, I guess because voltage so low. Had to use cheap analog radio shack $15.00 old one. Always used the cheap meters before because of size but not durable. Now it seems also more dependable does this sound right? Any recommendations on a small durable analog multimeter under $100.00 so dont need a backup to carry.
Sorry so long but thanks for any input.

Ray,

What you ask can be done, but it is not a simple matter. Replacing the transformer is much easier.

As far as the Fluke Meter goes, you may have to change scales (?) but it certainly should work. I use mine all the time to check batteries and they're only 1-1/2 v

Bill

Bill
Z
Ray & Bill,- you will not get a true reading with a digital meter testing the output of an electronic transformer.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
R
rayh78 Offline OP
Any suggestions on a good small multimeter.
I did try my fluke T5 -1000 and you are right it will read a 1.5 volt DC battery at 2 volts but you still have to wait about 5 seconds for it to read. But it would not read at all the 11.5 volt AC.

R
rayh78 Offline OP
Also dont understand why these are so popular. I did not spend this kind of money on a meter to have to carry a backup analog one because I cant trust the fluke..

E
ray: I have done some installations for friends that involve undercounter task lighting. The little puck fixtures that I chose were line voltage fixtures with 120 G7 lamps I believe. I have not had a problem nor have any of the people had a problem. I realize that you have an existing condition but may save you some hassle in future.Hope this helps.

E
If you can't have the lights on too long because heat will kill the transformer why have them at all. I would get my money back pronto! Buy a good quality UNDERCABINET (not undercounter) fixture from a lighting supplier.

C
elektrikguy,

Were these 120V pucks part of a fixture or individual pucks? The 120V individual pucks are required to be surface mounted and plugged into a receptacle.

Curt

Curt Swartz
E
Yes they were individual lights. Each time I cut a new switch into wall and mounted a hidden receptacle under the CABINETS(Thanks Electricmanscott, thanks for pointing out honest typo. I am pretty sure I didn't mislead anyone into installing under the counter top.You are a lifesaver).

Ray,
Are these electronic transformers that you are talking about?.
They must have a Load attached to them before you can measure thier output voltage. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard