ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25210 05/01/03 07:22 PM
S
Quick question.. I don't get to be on here much anymore...Been busy working [Linked Image]
I have an industrial job to do. My strong points are in residential, although I've done a little of everything practically.. I have 3 old 3 phase motors to run circuits to. One is a 5 HP motor that already has a "Mitsubishi Electric" starter mounted on the frame of the machine. It has an internal adjustment for amps, but I can't find any heaters to protect the motor. Just need a little advice. It seems that I will have to mount a starter with heaters ahead of the existing starter, which by the way has a "stop,start" button on it and also a "run, stop" button on it. It is obviously a Japanese made machine. Also on the nameplate, it has 50hz instead of 60hz. The business I am doing the wiring for, said it had been running in another part of the building fine.
Also I'm kind of confused at this moment on how I will wire the extra starter( with heaters) in conjunction with the one already on the machine???? That is if it is necessary. Like I said, motors and industrial work are not my specialty, any advise would be appreciated..

**Also He wants 2 old exhaust motors wired which are on the outside, up about 15 ft. toward the top of the vent pipe, which is approximately 4 ft. in diameter. This is to exhaust fumes from a spray booth area. The disconnects and motors are already wired. The conduit from the disconnects are stubbed out inside the building. I will have to set a 3 phase panel and/or a set of 3 phase manual starters with heaters on the inside so the motors can be controlled. If I set the controllers outside of the "spray area", will that get me out of the "hazardous area"?? Also where the conduits are going out of the building to the motors, one has a "seal off" on the conduit. Is this code also??? Any help will be greatly appreciated.. Hope it all makes sense. Thanks a lot.... Steve....

By the way, the lights in the area are open 8 ft. flourescent strips wired in emt with set screw connectors. Should this area not be "explosion proof" etc.?????? Thanks again...

S
Sparkync, the starter on the motor sounds like an IEC version. The overloads are adjusted with the dial. Our fluorescent light in the spray booths are enclosed , explosion-proof fixtures with heavy glass lenses. The NEC sect 500 (in the 99 book) has some distances and info on what is the dangerous area. Hope this helps.

F
sparkync:

Check article 516-2 in the 1999 NEC, especially figure 516-2(b)(2)and 516-2(b)(4) for an answer to your spray booth question. I had to wire an ansul system for one about a year ago. Believe it or not the fire sprinkler company installed the j-box to their equipment in the area next to the exterior door of the booth. The box was not rated for use in a hazardous location and they had to move it before I would wire the ansul system.

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 05-01-2003).]

S
Thanks guys, I'm in the process of trying to figure out these articles in 516 in the 99 Code. The more I read, the more complex this job seems. Right now, the area he plans on using for the spraying is not enclosed. He said He would probably put plastic up to keep the fumes from going in the rest of the building. If it means anything to anybody out there, he said the spray he uses is water based and not oil based??? I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. I don't want nothing "blowing up"........ because of fumes.... Thanks a lot.. I'm still searching. .... As for the "Mitsubishi" contactor on the other motor, I'm finding out it probably is the "heaterless design" that uses solid state overload and adjustable trip point relays.. I feel like this satisfies the code requirements on motor protection... Keep the info coming.. I want to make sure I get this right.... Steve.

F
ok about the spray booth there is a fine line there and my brother in law have pretty large spray booth i setup quite few years ago and the spray booth have fixure set up allready the reg. flourescent fixure are mounted outide of spray booth and have tempered safety glass on it and the rest of area is standard flourscent lamps strip fixure and by my nec code say first 7 feet front of spray booth is classifed but futher away from spray booth is non classifed area and i allready have the inspecter approved and check everything and meet the code that time i install it.

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

J
On the Spray booth issue I would consult with your local AHJ. It is common for different areas to have codes that are tighter then the NEC.

M
Steve, I would caution you on the overload block ,the name plate data is going to be for a motor running at 50 hz so the rpm is obviously going to be different but it also is probably set up for European voltages (correct me if I am wrong) which will make the precalculated nameplate data incorrect. Send me the nameplate info and I can run your calculations for you.

Mike mlk682@yahoo.com

Link Copied to Clipboard