ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Hello from South Dakota!!!

I need some help with a small code problem.
For some reason I have it stuck in my mind that whenever you install drop in troupher style flourescent fixtures, they need to be independently supported from the grid.

I have looked and looked but no luck. Is this a figment of my imagination, or am I missing something?

Any help Please!

Thanks, Jon

Jon Niemeyer
I
Did you come from MA, Because that is a requirement here.

2002 MEC

410.16(C) Add a second paragraph as follows

In addition to, or in lieu of, the mechanical fastening means, electric luminaires (fixtures) containing ballasts, other than simple florescent reactance ballasts, shall be supported by wire, chain or threaded rod of sufficient strength to carry the luminaire (fixture). Fluorescent luminaries (fixtures) shall be supported at each end of the diagonal axis of the luminaire (fixture).

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
NJElectricmaster:
The NEC requires fixtures to be attached to the grid by screws, clips, or other approved means. In most locations in NJ, the fixtures are independently supported from the structure via diagonal ceiling wire.
Don't feel bad, this is a common question around here. Sparkies not familiar with the "local" AHJ usually ask..."screw/clip" "tie-wire" or "both"???
The Fire sub-code requires the independent support of the fixtures. The reasons that I've heard are to prevent the fixtues from coming down if the firemen rip the grid.

How about is Don....any comments?????

John

John
N
Hello from South Dakota!!!

iwire, I am from Colorado, and I knew we had to do it there. I just can't find it in the NEC.

Thanks, Jon

Jon Niemeyer
R
John,
It is in a number of building codes to prevent the fixtures from falling when the grid is damaged. It could help prevent them from falling under fire conditions, but even with independent tie wires, I doubt that they will stay when hit with a fire stream flowing almost 1 ton of water per minute.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Ron Offline
You will not find it in the NEC. If it exists, it is a local modification of the building code.
Also, many engineers specify it, whether it is code minimum or not.

Ron
N
Hey guys, Thanks for all the responses. I knew I had seen that rule before I was just not sure it was code!

I really do love this site!

thanks again, Jon

Jon Niemeyer
S
SJT Offline
I try to secure at least the 2 corners diagonally across from one another. And put ties from the ceiling or structure above to the fixture, in addition to the clips that come with the fixture. All wiring must be supported independent of the grid also.

F
Jon:
I do a lot of commercial work and what most inspectors have me do if I install grid wire for fixture or flex whip supports is to identify it either by painting it or phase tape. That way they can see that I installed it and I am not using any existing wire. Being I sometimes work in different parts of the state, I usually check with the inspector when he gives me an underground or wall rough on what he wants done with the fixtures. Saves a lot of hassle later down the road and promotes good relations too.

So you don't have earthquakes in Illinois? [Linked Image]
So CA, basically 2 wires on diagonal ends of the 2X4 or 2X2 lay-in. Screwed to the grid on the opposing corners. Lost Angeles has some jurisdictions with 4 wires, 4 screws..weeding them out is tough...S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard