ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
OK, picture this:

You are a window gate manufacturer hired to put bars on the windows of a storefront.

You've finished welding together the gate at your shop and have arrived at the jobsite to mount the gates.

First your helper drills eight holes around the perimeter of the window opening in the poured-concrete walls and drives short pieces of metal bar as anchors (how Latin American is this? [Linked Image] ).

Both of you will finally weld the entire gate to these stumps of bar using a portable electric welder.

Question is....how and where do you hook up your electric welder?

The store owner will not allow you to clip the welder's jumper-clamps to his brand-new panel's bus bars (for obvious reasons)....

What do you do?

Torch

Bill
M
Sven: Unfortunately, the only things I can think of involve cost outlay; 1) try to arrnage a temp service hookup in a neighboring business (probably not very likely if the client himself is not willing), or 2) rent or trade services for someone with a portable gas-powered welding outfit.

Hopefully someone else here will have a better solution. Good luck!

Mike (mamills)

S
Fire up the generator on the welding truck. [Linked Image]
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scotts (edited 04-09-2003).]

T
He's doing site work with a wired welder????

Tell 'em to go down to the rental store and get him a welder/generator. They're reasonably cheap by the day.

TW

T
They sell mig welders that will run all day long on 120 volts. On the other hand, someone that does this type of work ought to have a gas powered welder or a generator.

Donnie
My neighbor is a welder. He has a Generator on his truck. (And Tanks/Torches) They have long cables to reach where needed.

Bill

Bill
M
There are portable wire-feed welders that will run on 120V service at 20A. Even the tiny ones will weld at 90A, enough to stick some steel rod together unless it's 2" rod.

I
I would agree with Trainwire and the rest who have said

He's doing site work with a wired welder????

That would be like me going to a job without my Pliers and screwdriver. A welder should be able to weld with out assistance don't you think?

Any contractor doing this kind of short term jobs at various sites should have a welder/generator.

On long term jobs we will usually wire in welders for the mechanical contractors but they still have a welder/generator outside on the truck or trailer.

Around here more trades are bring there own power, A demo contractor we work with has a large generator to run a "Brock" (remote operated jack hammer, backhoe)

At the Job I am at now the cement cutting contractor brought a large unit to power the hydraulic pumps that run his saws.

They probably got tired of the high bills to hook these up temp, 100 Amps 480 Volt 3P.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 04-11-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Z
bring some spare breakers with you and "plug in" [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard