ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#24170 04/06/03 09:56 PM
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Thumbing through the locking plugs & socket section of my Leviton catalog, I came across some Non-NEMA devices called "California Style."

They're usually listed for high ampacity - 50 amps and 250 volts single or even three-phase power.

Why are they called California Style? Did they originate there -- presumably for use by the film industry? [Linked Image]

C
I can't tell you why they are called "California Style" but we have them on every job site for the temporary power.

Curt

Curt Swartz
L
Also sometimes called an OSHA plug. It is my understanding that these cord ends were at one time required on all construction grade cords in California. I prefer them over the typical household grade cord ends as the ground tends to stay with the cord better. When inspecting construction sites it is almost always the household cord end configurations that are missing the ground. You will also find the locking cord ends on other amperages as well, simply because in order to plug into the construction site you have to have an adapter to go from locking to non-locking. The connections stay together better as well with all the cord dragging that goes on.

B
As for construction sites, the reference may be for 50-amp 125/250-volt 1ø 4-wire locking connectors to daisy chain “spider boxes” found for temporary power. http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/library/pressreleases/hub9802.pdf

(Note there doesn’t appear to be any locking 50-amp devices with NEMA designations. There are locking 30-amp devices and straight-blade 50-amp devices with NEMA designations.)

Sven, the distinction may be this—maybe what everyone else calls “California-style plugs”—Californians just call “plugs.” ;-) ;-) :-)

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 04-07-2003).]

B
Another standard use of a connector (very similar to the "California-style") is 50-amp 125/250-volt 1ø 4-wire service for one or more shore-power feeds to moored boats.

http://www.hopkins-carter.com/catalog/ShorePowerCords.htm

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 04-09-2003).]

I
Nice links Bjarney, The Hubbell system looks good and expensive. I have never seen a job site with anything like that in MA, RI, NH.

I am sure there must be some, but SER and NM is what is used for temps here for the majority of jobs.

Typical temp power distribution for around here, 480 service, distribute 100 amps 480 with SER to each, or every other floor to a transformer, 208/120 panel mounted to transformer branch circuits from there with NM.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard