ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23402 03/17/03 08:34 PM
M
I was just wondering how those of you that do commercial, industrial or maybe even large residential jobs plan your work at any given job.

For example;

When I would do a commercial or light industrial job I would use the take-off from my bid to make a rough schedule and a time line for the job. By using the take-off, I could schedule tasks as well as order material and schedule equipment and tools well in advance. I would also use the schedule to set critical path items to coincide with other trades and the GC's schedule.

The schedule was also made available to the men on the job so that they could see what they would be doing on any given day or on any given day in the future. This would help by letting them also think of any material they may need or let them see how other's work would tie into or affect thier work.

The schedule was always updated weekly to show any changes that were made. The schedule was never anything that was carved in stone but it did provide for better planning and organization.

The reason that I ask is, the company that I now work for doesen't provide any take-off information to thier supers. Only a summary of all of the material for the job. The super basically does his own take-off and planning on the job site all over again.

I don't believe that the estimators take-offs are ever even seen out of the office.

Did I do too much? Are they not doing enough? Or both?

Master66:
Sounds like ya did it the "right way"
Yes, keeping some info "in the office" is a "has-to-be" for some companies. But, they pay the freight when someone else has to do that work again.
I use duplicate copies, and keep what I deem "for my eyes only" off of the field copies.
Good planning never hurts. Once, with a posted "ahead" schedule, one guy was "sick" on a tough push day....but, it only happened once, and he was shocked when the job was a day behind!
You have to do what you think is best for your situation.
John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard