ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 182 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#23243 03/15/03 07:47 AM
I
ga.sparky56, anyone that thinks a local accent makes people not to "bright" is just showing there own short comings

I live 30 minutes out of Boston, MA and never really notice the local accent.

Then I saw an episode of "Cops" from Boston, the accent was worse then any faked Hollywood version I have heard, but it was real.

A "Simpson's" episode with a family that must have been the Kennedy's has a great time with this accent, and I must sound that way too. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#23244 03/15/03 08:21 AM
J
When My father was station in Germany during my high school days, you should have seen the looks I got trying to speak german with a georgia accent. I reckon I will just keep my accent and let people know where I'm from.
Keith in Georgia!!!

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years to late" Jimmy Buffett
#23245 03/15/03 09:44 AM
Broom Pusher and
I just thought the terms applied to the definitions were funny - regardless of where they are supposed to be from!

I like the way words can be metaphorically used, and how it ends up being humorous!

Example: One part of my E-mail message Sigfile has "Definitions" for words (just for a funny thing to place in the Sigfile, used for positive ID).
Definition for the word "Control" = (Con + Troll), n. A Small Prisioner Living Under A Bridge.

The wordage is just a silly way to describe Control, not an offensive slurr towards anyone!
This is what I was getting at in the reply!

The definitions for Barium, C section, Dilate, Hangnail, Labor Pain, Nitrates, Tablet and Terminal Illness would be the ones I want to add to the Sigfile (hope to make it select 3 random definitions each time a message is created).

Scott35 s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#23246 03/15/03 10:08 AM
G
gramps Offline OP
my background is Appalachian (w.va.),west texas (odessa),louisiana cajun (evangeline parish), arkansas (bald knob), alabama (sylacauga), ireland, and germany! [Linked Image]....thats quite a selection i can choose from!... [Linked Image]

when i first moved to ohio, the natives here all thought i must be from kentucky, because of the way i talked!... [Linked Image] lol!... what do they know?

"a country boy can survive"

gramps

#23247 03/15/03 10:46 AM
G
Scott,years ago in my Hot Rodding youth. I frequently ordered parts from a company in L.A. It was a small speed shop and I talked to the owner a lot,asking for advice. He would jokingly tell me to "speak English" and my comeback was to speak with an English accent. And on a trip to New England I got more than one waitress flustered by asking for grits or sweet tea.Yes, words and the people who use them are funny! [Linked Image]

#23248 03/15/03 12:01 PM
G
gramps Offline OP
several years ago, i was with an industrial contractor, installing some MCC panels in a factory in northern wisconsin, near the canadian border. my first morning there, we went to a little cafe for breakfast, and i ordered a bowl of grits with my eggs. the owner told me "i dont have any idea what that is, but if you'll get some for me, i'll dang sure cook them for you!"....i got my brother in alabama, to send me some. i took the 2 boxes of grits i received in the mail, to the cafe owner....and he fixed them for me, and a few other customers, until he ran out!...he actually ordered some more from his wholesaler, and added "grits" to his menu!!!... [Linked Image]

gramps

[This message has been edited by gramps (edited 03-15-2003).]

#23249 03/15/03 12:19 PM
I
Gramps, I tried Grits when I was "Down South" (Virginia Beach, that's south for me I am sure that is North for most of you). [Linked Image]

All I will say is they must be an acquired taste. [Linked Image]

But the Crab omelets I could get where something I wish I could get up here.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#23250 03/15/03 12:57 PM
S
There is nothing like biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

I wish we had a Hardee's out here in CA.
Scott

#23251 03/18/03 06:44 PM
R
RR Offline
I lived in Georgia for 21 years before I moved to California a year ago due to my wife's graduate school. I miss the hospitality, trees, sweet tea, Chick-Fil-A, North Georgia Mountains, etc.

#23252 01/06/05 11:09 PM
Bump. [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard