ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#23192 03/13/03 12:06 PM
S
pauluk, you hit the nail on the head! we only see their "export quality" stuff and ... actually, they really do have some very high quality products in china, but the outside world never see's it.

Gramps, this is true. I think it's the case with every country in the world. You manufacture the good stuff for your home market and export the crap.

I'm sure the average Chinese mechanic uses Chinese-manufactured tools that are as good as anything that Snap-On or Maco has put out. Ditto the average Chinese electrician.

Wiring devices and cordsets produced for the People's Republic of China domestic market must carry the CCEE mark (commonly referred to as the Great Wall Mark). Anything you see with this Mark is of reasonably good quality (at least that's been my experience).

This is the recognized approvals authority in PRC. The emblem looks like this:

[Linked Image from allaboutknowledge.com]

In 2002, the State Administration of the People's Republic of China for Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine has announced a new Safety License System implementation requiring mandatory Safety License approval for 132 product categories.

The new Safety Mark is called CCC and replaced the previous CCIB and CCEE mark. The new system went into effect on May 1st, 2002 and grants existing CCIB and CCEE mark approved products a 12 months conversion period.

This is the new Mark:
[Linked Image from allaboutknowledge.com]

Personally I liked the looks of the Great Wall Mark better...it looked unique. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-13-2003).]

#23193 03/13/03 01:40 PM
C
C-H Offline
I think it's the case with every country in the world. You manufacture the good stuff for your home market and export the crap.

It can just as well be the other way round: High cost countries can only export quality, or they would price themselves out of the market. E.g. German cars have a good reputation abroad, as people think of Mercedes and BMW. Ordinary Germans drive Opels and Fords, the quality of which...erm...leave something to be desired.

Smurf, sorry for the threadjack!

#23194 03/13/03 02:50 PM
G
it would be really great if we could go back to the day when we could effectively "pick and choose" whether we wanted to buy "American" or a cheap, foreign copy. but, in reality, i think we would be hard-pressed, these days, to find much that is 100% American-made. the Buzzward "global marketplace" that became so popular in the late 70's, into the 80's, has pretty much inundated the industrial base of this country. i did a little research this morning, and, i'm so sorry to say that, in the automobile industry, hondas and toyotas made in this country,percentage-wise have more american-made parts in them than ford or chevy!....my dad and grandad are rolling over in their grave, right now...... [Linked Image]

gramps

#23195 03/14/03 10:46 PM
Broom Pusher and
This might get some flames tossed at me, but here it goes!...

I do not care which Country any Equipment is Manufactured in (I am all for the Global Economy idea).

I do care when ANY Manufacturer produces CRAP!!!
I hate crap Equipment!!!
It flat out SUCKS!!! Buying crap does not save any money, it only COSTS MORE!!!

As with my major Dispise of crap Equipment, the classic "Leaping Over Dollars To Get To Dimes" mentallity that goes along with the purchasing of said crap items, is equally hated!
This thought process has transformed into more like "Pole-Vaulting Over $100 Dollar Bills To Get To Pennies", and must be stopped!!!

Stepping off the soapbox.

Scott35 S.E.T.

Next Venting Person, Please Take The Soapbox Now!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#23196 03/15/03 10:25 PM
Hey Scott,
Who is going to flame you, for expressing a view, that is pretty much world-wide, all though outside of China and a few other Asian countries that produce this rubbish!.
The unfortunate thing about this whole thing,
is the fact, that people actually buy this crap and they are doing it in droves. [Linked Image]
SvenNYC, I must remember that CCC mark, I've never seen it before, even with all the Chinese products we import over here, does this mean that the products we have here, have not even passed QC(Quality Control)?.

#23197 03/16/03 01:42 AM
S
Trumpy, as far as I can tell, the certification marks that I slapped on the board are just for the People's Republic of China market.

I guess it's similar to Nemko, Demko, UL, CSA, etc. except it's mandatory, unlike UL.

It's really tempting to see and want to buy these nice shiny socket sets in the stores, only to realize that they're Mickey Mouse knuckle breakers. A Snap-On set is in the hundreds of dollars....well out of the reach of many Joe Shadetree fellows.

Mickey Mouse tools are OK...for once in a while use....in an emergency when you're stuck. But for serious work, you have to stick with the good stuff. I can't say enough about what a pleasure it is to work with properly finished and sized screwdrivers especially.

I've noticed the pipe wrenches being sold at Home Depot come from China....but the one I used gave no problems....of course I only used it once..so who knows.

As far as "Buy American" is concerned, it's easy to say that, but sometimes you don't have a choice because the product just isn't there.

I would love a nice cassette recorder manufactured in the USA, but there are none. EVERYTHING is made in P.R.C. Same thing with those portable 5" mono-chrome TV sets...all made in China (probably by one big company)...

A lot of tool companies are moving manufacturing overseas. Stanley (a brand I respected) is making hammers in Taiwan now.

Are they Mickey-Mouse? I dunno. They seem nice, but I'm afraid to try...considering the bad reputation that Far-East Asian tools have created here.

The last hammer I bought was Chinese. Head made in China, handle made of American hickory. The damned head wobbles a bit...and I can't add another wedge or see what the problem is because they potted that hole in the top with tar!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-16-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard