ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22900 03/06/03 11:31 PM
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later... Actually, I was impressed that we roughed in a whole house without a mishap, but...

We were trimming the KOs out of siding blocks today, being a job I really don't like, trying to cut cold hard plastic...

Not having much luck, scarred the first block on the visible part while trying to cut it, cracked another one, then it happened.

Jimmy was holding his thumb up and the blood started to pour...

Well, I jump up and run to the truck to get the first aid kit, he follows me out. I pull out an alcohol pad and open it and give it to Jimmy to clean his thumb, while I start to tear open one to clean my hands, and... down he goes into the mud... eyes rolled back, mouth gaped open... Well crap, he fainted... So I lift his head out of the mud, say his name a few times, and he comes to, but is confused and puts his injured hand right into the mud...

I finally get him up and into the cab of the truck and he's white as a sheet, complaining that he needs to poop, pee, and vomit, but has apparently forgotten about the thumb I'm trying to dress.

I let him do his thing, he starts to get his senses back, sits down and lets me finish dressing his thumb. Covered in mud, confused to the point I'm suspecting concussion, and looking like hell, I figure I better take him home...

Swears up and down it doesn't need stitches, but I may insist he goes in tomorrow to have it looked at...

What a day... [Linked Image]

I did warn him several months ago that cuts were our number one hazard, getting shocked actually being lower on the list...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 03-06-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
T
Hello 66, Good to hear from you again.

Hate to hear of any accidents. [Linked Image] Hope Jimmy will be O.K. Getting cuts seem to be a pretty common occurence in the trade.I know that I have had my share of them.Most often when it's cold and the insulation is stiff on larger wires.
Usually when dealing with a stubborn plastic k.o I opt for a cordless drill and a holesaw. [Linked Image] Saves alot of frustration.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 03-06-2003).]

Donnie
F
hello 66:

this one of my trick i deal with vinil siding that one is use the hair dryer to make it soft or use over size propane heater ( infraed kind) and the other one is use the battiey powered (cordless) skillsaw type and put the blade backward (that prevent sliding shattered but unforely that true cut is numer one item we have deal i have few cuts myself also one from sideing the other one from big 750 kmcm wire grrrrr
anytime i deal with the knife i use hevey leather glove that seems help alot and i have 2 first aid boxes in my truck

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Cuts are a real nuisance, especially if it's a really deep cut.
It pays to get any deep cut stitched as soon as possible.
As any first aid course will tell you, if you have to drive an injured co-worker to the medical centre, keep them talking, this will make sure that they do not pass out and die from shock. [Linked Image]

Virgil,

Do you mean the Fixture Blocks?
I've always used a pair of Tin Snips (aka Aviation Snips) for cutting the plastic and vinyl stuff. I have a Left-cut, Right-cut and a straight-cut. Don't leave home without them.

[Linked Image from hand-tools-power-tools.com]

Bill

Bill
S
Cuts are deff a pain (pardon the pun), and happen so often that going to the clinic or hospital every time is just not an option for me.

Hence, my pouch carries a small bottle of peroxide, crazy glue, electrical tape and serviettes, lol... wash it, wipe it, glue it, cover it & tape it....

Now, get back to work, lol.....

Hope your guy turned out alright, we can't all be tough 'CANADIANS' (just ribbing!!)

-Greg

S
Jimmy suffered a little phsycogenic aftereffect eh? , quite common in fact...

It's good you were there for him Virgil, next time don't let him look at the injury if you are able.

~S

S
I guess some people just can't stand to look at blood...especially their own.

I've never understood it...so to me it always seemed a bit weird. But it's a fact of life....

Hope it wasn't serious. I once got gashed in the arm with a broken glass lamp shade (those green bankers lamps).

I was removing the lampholder from said lamp (to keep as a spare for another lamp). My arm slipped and landed across the broken edge of glass....slice.

It was about a millimeter deep and about 4 centimeters long...nice precise incision. Gauze, tape and anti-microbial pomade fixed it. [Linked Image]

S
"I let his do his thing" I bet you had to do your own thing after that experience.

Did Jimmy go to the doctor? If he did then you may need to record it on an OSHA form. It is nnnooooo big deal. Just a form of documentation. Speaking of that you should write own everything that happened and file it away. CYA these days. Not trying to say anything bad about Jimmy.

Scott

P
NO NOT JIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Yes, I was stealing a line from The Simpsons)

But seriously, Tell him that we all wish him a speedy recovery.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard