ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#2241 06/28/01 09:14 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Frank's ladder thread brings a ladder 'do you' to mind....

i have seen some that are quite proficent at 'walking' a ladder while on it. some even have purposely pegged a leg into a 4-11 to accent the 3 legged dog's gait.

disclaimer; please do not try this at home!
[Linked Image]

#2242 06/29/01 03:56 PM
F
NO! I had a carpenter on a job borrow my 8' fiberglass step ladder once. I caught him "walking" it and practically knocked him off of it. All of his fiberglass ladders were whopper-jawed and splintered about 4" from the bottom of the legs. I saw why.

#2243 07/03/01 09:04 PM
D
Originally posted by Fred:
NO! I had a carpenter on a job borrow my 8' fiberglass step ladder once. I caught him "walking" it and practically knocked him off of it. All of his fiberglass ladders were whopper-jawed and splintered about 4" from the bottom of the legs. I saw why.

I guess carpenters are the same everywhere. They did the same thing to two ladders that I am responsible for. I brought it up at a safety meeting and they stopped doing it but the damage was already done.
BB

#2244 07/04/01 12:11 AM
I've never purposefully ladder-walked (although I've been known to hang from a joist and pick up and move the ladder with my feet...) but waaaay back in my young and dumb years...

I was apprenticing in Richmond VA, summer of 86. We were hammering out dwellings left and right, fast pace environment... I was told to rough-in for a garage light and garage door opener recept, which on the unfinished floor was a good 18 feet up.
The rickety 12 foot step ladder just got me in reach on the "No Step" step, the top plastic one. While nailing the box up for the light, the ladder started walking on the uneven gravel surface, and toppled over with me hanging from the joist... the other guys had to stand the ladder back up, a fall onto all the debris would have been bad...

I've never had a bad ladder experience since... I'm extra careful with my ladder placement and usage now... (I do on occasion step onto the "NO Step", but you know how it is...)

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard