ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
100 Definitions: Accessible 2023
by gfretwell - 07/18/24 04:26 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by emolatur - 07/18/24 01:05 PM
2023 CEU Course
by gfretwell - 07/17/24 01:08 AM
Is this really a thing
by dsk - 07/16/24 01:23 PM
90.5(C) Explanatory Material 2023
by gfretwell - 07/16/24 12:14 PM
Recent Gallery Topics:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 474 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 378
frank Offline OP
Health ans safety at my place of work wants gfci receptacles installed near the sinks in the break rooms. This is a contentious issue with inspection specifically where split receptacles are involved. We would have to then add circuits to meet new code as they do not make split gfci recpts . With no less then 25 break rooms inspection would want all break rooms brought up to new code which is not possible as most of the panels are full. As i rarely work in residential applications is it legal to just replace non split duplex receptacles with gfci or will the entire break room still need to be brought up to new code? The rational with inspection is that these break rooms currently meet code in regards to date of installation as such gfci receptacles are not required. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Admin; 04/25/23 08:31 PM. Reason: (Title Edit)
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,954
Likes: 34
The GFCI requirements might actually make Canada break with it's love of the split receptacle. I suppose the best solution would be GFCI breakers and separate circuits to the box. In the US we can get NM with 4 wires, 2 neutrals but it is not that common. I liked the concept at my house but I went with a 4" box and 2 receptacles in each counter top location, one duples on each circuit, then a regular GFCI receptacle works. (use a deep box)

Greg Fretwell
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,389
Likes: 7

I passed on commenting on your post as I am not familiar with the Canadian EC but, here in New Jersey you can replace a regular duplex receptacle with a GFI receptacle, with no issue and no permit required.

That said, IF you have two (2) circuits with a common neutral (3 wire feed) could you convert the existing single gang box to a two gang?

IF so, why not pigtail the neutral, and install two GFI receptacles?


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5