ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222138 03/27/23 10:05 AM
J
jt7 Offline OP
I just purchased a variable speed pool pump. I want to add a surge protector because of the electronics on it.
I don't have any room in my main service panel, (Murray R256EB1A).
So thought i would replace my old timer box with a sub panel at pump itself, about 100 ft away. My feed wire is UF 12-2 with ground so there is no neutral wire, 240 V.
My questions are:
1) Best way to make room in Main panel and add surge protector?
2) Would it be better/easier to just add a surge protector in the sub panel?
Is it possible to install a surge protector without having neutral wire in the sub panel?
Can i install a GFCI breaker in the sub panel with no neutral wire? Would the breaker and GFCI connect to ground
instead?
The sub panel would feed the pool pump, 240V and a deck that only has couple lights on it.

I have considered putting Quadplex breaker in Main and combining 2 breakers to free up a 20A breaker to attach a surge protector to but have not found one compatible with my panel.

Attached Images
IMG_20230324_142501818 (1).jpg IMG_20230323_160302529_HDR (1).jpg
jt7 #222139 03/28/23 05:04 PM
G
I think Murray is now Eaton. There may be a Challenger breaker "classified" for that panel.

Greg Fretwell
jt7 #222140 03/28/23 05:07 PM
G
I am not sure about how those breakers are listed but I see surge protectors double lugged to an existing 240v load if they are listed for 2 wires.

Greg Fretwell
N
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I think Murray is now Eaton. There may be a Challenger breaker "classified" for that panel.

Murray was bought by Siemens & was sold by them for a number of years, but was discontinued, Siemens breakers are the listed choice, Eaton CL is UL classified for many competitive makes, it's more expensive then Eaton BR, which is not classified for competitive makes.

1 member likes this: jt7
jt7 #222142 03/28/23 10:38 PM
G
OK thanks for covering me. I am old and I tend to put all of those "stab" panels in one boat. I also have trouble remembering who bought who.

Good to know they use Siemems. OP can get them anywhere. No luck on seeing anyone on their website say you can use 2 wires on a terminal. I looked at a breaker too. Not on the label.
If there is plenty of room in the panel you could pigtail the conductors coming from the smallest 240 a breaker you have and be legal.

312.8 Switch and Overcurrent Device Enclosures with
Splices, Taps, and Feed-Through Conductors. The wir-
ing space of enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices
shall be permitted for conductors feeding through, spliced,
70-]82

or tapping off to other enclosures, switches, or overcurrent
devices where all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The total of all conductors installed at any cross section
of the wiring space does not exceed 40 percent of the
cross-sectional area of that space.
(2) The total area of all conductors, splices, and taps in-
stalled at any cross section of the wiring space does not
exceed 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that
space.

Greg Fretwell
J
jt7 Offline OP
Right, these breakers don't allow 2 wires. I plan on pigtailing a surge protector as you suggested.
I also plan on swapping out the upper 20A breaker, this feeds the pool pump, and replace it with a GFCI breaker.
Is it ok to put the surge protector on a GFCI breaker or will it cause problems?
Other option is:
I have a 30A breaker on lowest left I could put surge protector on, will a surge protector be effective on a bottom? Or should I swap these positions, even though it would mean another splice in panel, if I need to use this one?

jt7 #222144 03/29/23 01:01 PM
G
I would stay away from the GFCI. The 30 should work tho. Mine is on with the water heater. I am not sure a few extra inches of bus will affect the surge protection enough to matter. Try to keep the ground lead as short and straight as possible tho. You certainly don't want a loop in it.

Greg Fretwell
J
jt7 Offline OP
Think i have solved my surge protector problem, my panel will accept Square D Homeline breakers. They are rated for 2 wires. I didn't realize the Homeline series was capable of this. So gonna replace one of my old breakers with Square D and add surge protector to that.

I also want to put a GFCI breaker on at least one end of this circuit to pump. Wire that feeds pump is 12/2 with ground. Could i put 30A gfci breaker in main and 20A standard breaker in sub panel? And still have protection?
Is it possible to have gfci breaker at sub with only the 12/2 w/ground?

jt7 #222146 04/01/23 02:57 PM
G
Are the SqD breakers actually "classified" for a Murray panel? It might be worth checking that out. I know SqD had a real dust up with Cuttler Hammer over the Challenger breakers in SqD panels and it might seem a little disingenuous for them to go back to U/L and look for the OK to put their breakers in someone else's panel.
Just because they "work" and they probably do, doesn't mean they are legal.
As for your other question about the GFCI in a 240 only panel (no neutral) you would have to look at the manufacturer's instructions. That set up was pretty normal with computer room panels. They did not bring the neutral to the panel. The insulated, grounded wire was reidentified green and it was the isolated ground. I suppose you could hook the white wire from the breaker to the ground bus and the GFCI would "work" as intended but the instructions should be your guide.
You could go the other way and use the 30a in the main panel and exploit the tap rule, using the 20a as down stream overload protection. That would also provide GFCI protection to the feeder.

Greg Fretwell
J
jt7 Offline OP
Yes, on inside of panel door lists Square D Hom breakers as suitable.
And thanks for info on GFCI. I believe i will go the route you mention at end of your comment.

Link Copied to Clipboard