ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222038 12/05/22 08:18 PM
Cat Servant
“Tiny homes” are often in the news these days. Whether as a proposed solution to the homeless controversy or as an approach to a more environmentally friendly life or just an extra place for guests, it’s a trendy topic. You can even buy one on Amazon.
A “tiny home” is defined as any home of less than 1000 sq. ft. living space. Under that definition, don’t be surprised if you find the house you grew up in qualifies. Many of the designs have about a 400 sq. ft. footprint. Homes under 200 sq. ft. Are usually built on a trailer chassis; larger ones usually have a skid base.
It’s fascinating how designers have managed to pack so much into such small spaces.

Now, let’s look at the NEC. A minimum 100-amp service for a tiny home. Requiring two kitchen appliance circuits and a laundry circuit? For the amount of wall space available, you could find the code requiring more circuits than the required number of convenience receptacles. AFCI’s when there’s no bedroom — just a couch that folds down?

Have you looked at this topic? Any thoughts to share?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The AFCI thing is a slam dunk. You need them everywhere but the kitchen and bath.
I don't see the code changing much. They still do the same amount of living. I can see them having enough appliance load for 2 20a circuits in the kitchen. You still have those hair dryers in the bathroom. The laundry circuit might be silly if there isn't room for a stackable. You may only end up with 1 or 2 general lighting circuits and that second one might be just to be polite. You get 600 sq/ft from a 15a. The way the walls are broken up you are going to end up with a a bunch of receptacles tho, even on the really tiny ones. At a certain point I think the designer will have to have a good plan. Since these are factory built and some are not even HUD certified as a dwelling they may get a whole different set of rules. They may be RVs. My SIL had one of those. Once they took the wheels off it looked like a manufactured home but it was built and listed as an RV. I hope someone closed that loophole.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard