ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 474 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
wa2ise Offline OP
Well, you know how much you can trust what you see on FB.
See image below.
Wonder if it was a "push and pray" outlet?

Attached Images
301130637_2598187617019788_2815079493618847526_n.jpg
Last edited by wa2ise; 08/26/22 04:28 PM.
J
Abraham Lincoln warned that not everything on the Internet is true.

G
You're absolutely right about being cautious with what you see on Facebook; it can be quite unpredictable! Regarding the fishy outlet situation you mentioned, it does make you wonder about the quality of work. Maybe it was a DIY "push and pray" job, who knows?

G
Looks more like a space heater plugged into one of those 98 cent drop bin receptacles. I suppose UL doesn't guarantee things won't burn up. Only that the fire will be contained, He did say "melting the plugs". I do think a whole class of cheap devices could be delisted and only affect a few contractors who will use the cheapest device that passes inspection. Whenever I see a homeowner at the BORG looking at those cheap ones, I steer them to the clamp plate spec grade device and point out the extra convenience and safety is worth the extra buck or two. They are usually only buying one or two anyway. I think once Harry Homeowner uses the clamp plate device and doesn't have to worry about getting the right hook on the wire, getting it wrapped the right way and making sure it is completely under the screw head, they won't want to go back.
I agree the "back stabbers" with the spring contact are junk.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I think the odor is from latex paint coating the device. Combine that with a loose plug and things heat up.

Link Copied to Clipboard