ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221800 08/02/22 06:21 PM
Cat Servant
Just a note to let everyone know I’m baaaack! 😀.

It literally took a tornado to lift me out of a cozy retirement. My knees are shot, my tools rusty, and I’m driving a compact car — yet I just couldn’t say “no.”

No doubt I’m going to have to make some changes. Good heavens, I have a decade of code changes to absorb. I’m certain I’ll have to get a contractors license and set up a payroll.

Some things haven’t changed: this area is poor. The worst part is the “cultural poverty” where folks insist on continuing to add new kludge atop decades worth of sketchy work. For example, one customer needs a 175A service to replace the 1937 - 40A service after meth heads stripped the house of all wire. Folks need $5K worth of work at a minimum, yet think there’s a $100 magic trick to be found.

The PoCo has become more assertive — to the point where your usual service equipment isn’t acceptable. The panel makers even offer gear designed specifically for this area. Pretty impressive for a utility that only serves two states.

Some of the code changes have me shaking my head. IMO, the code panels enjoy playing king too much and have drifted far beyond basic safety.

The economy has entered a twilight zone. When it’s over, those who are actually productive will be either champs or chumps — only time will tell.

I am stunned at the tools offered these days. Imagine my surprise when I found my 14.4V cordless tool inventory was obsolete!

Anyway, I hope I’m welcome back. Drop me a line if you wish — I’m at Yahoo.

Reno...
Welcome back.

John
Welcome back Reno.

Always good to hear from an 'OldTimer'

Bill
B
After 2 years I'm back as well, but it's all voluntary for family. I do have a pickup but I sure miss my van that always was fully stocked, now I have to make lists and make sure to remember to bring everything I need. As soon as I arrive at the job that's when I discover everything I forgot and then I start another list. Also living in the city can't park a pickup full of stuff anywhere that you can't keep an eye on it.
The prices of everything is what amazes me most, I think we are getting gouged. $4 each for Sawzall blades?? Romex is ridiculous and if you buy it at the home center they have to unlock the cage to get it out then carry it to the register for you due to all the theft.

Last edited by BigB; 08/15/22 08:39 PM.
Originally Posted by BigB
I sure miss my van that always was fully stocked, now I have to make lists and make sure to remember to bring everything I need. As soon as I arrive at the job that's when I discover everything I forgot and then I start another list.
Sounds very familiar!! rolleyes

I try to keep a 'Go Bag' for Troubleshooting and one with hand tools and a cordless drill for simple Installation tasks, but if I need to do any real work everything else is spread out in multiple locations.

Bill
J
Well I will add another voice from the past. Left the service world. Now working on all high end residential. First house I went to was bought for 30M.

Dealing with the designers is different.

Jim,

Glad to see you posting!!

I'm jealous for sure!!.

In general, some customers I had didn't bat an eye at spending 5 - 10 K on kitchen countertops, but would question, (and sometimes refuse) charges for dedicated circuits for Microwawes etc.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard