ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#221811 08/05/22 01:31 PM
G
Does a SO cord drop need a threaded hub or can you use a blank cover or knock out from a 4 square or octagon box? Also is it allowed just to have a cord cap on end of SO cord or do you need a approved pendant box? I don't think using a 4 square box with k.o.'s is allowed for pendant boxes either.

Thanks for any help.

G
The first question is answered in the title you posted.

(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the
conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector
threaded into a box with a hub.

I suppose the second question is in the listing of the cord cap. (receptacle)
I know it is common to see pendants terminated with Russell Stoll or IEC 309 receptacles.

Greg Fretwell
So you could use a T-11 Box or similar?

How long has a threaded hub been required?

Bill
G
Originally Posted by Bill Addiss
So you could use a T-11 Box or similar?

How long has a threaded hub been required?

The first place I see that language is a code change to the 1987 370.13(h).

Greg Fretwell
G
Thanks for reply. As I understand it a T-11 is not allowed either..an FD box would be...osha has a section on this.

I ended up using a rigid T with a dead leg on one side for support and a 4 square on the other to make connections.

You see a lot of cord drops with 4 square boxes or cord cap on the end of so cord but these are actually a code violation.

G
I suppose using a T-11 (Bell box) would be a local call since it is a threaded entry but that probably actually gets back to the listing and a 110.3(b). I bet they say that box needs to be attached to something.

Greg Fretwell
G
I believe there are cord grips for some of the pin and sleeve receptacles that are listed for pendant use but that is not the same as a garden variety 5-15 receptacle cap you see on a field assembled/repaired extension cord.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I seem to recall the “threaded hub pendant” first appearing around 2005. I still haven’t dug out my code library smile

The change came about after a prominent inspector made it a priority — even a holy cause — after his successful campaign to ban drywall screws. In the course of traveling to conduct seminars, he found many DIY extension cords with four-square boxes that had suffered from abuse. Hence the code change.

At that time I posted a picture here of a simple cord cap hanging from a pendant. I believe the conversation here was lively but inconclusive — with objections centering on whether the court cap was suitable for outdoor locations.

As far as strain relief is concerned, even UL is stumped. They have two wildly different standards and even they’re not sure when to apply each. Even 2-screw NM/FMC connectors are listed (look at the box) for gripping flexible cords in some applications. Other situations seem to require both Chinese handcuffs and compression clamps.

G
Threaded hub for flexible cords was in the 1987 in article 370. In 2002 that got moved to a new article 314.23(h) and they added "pendant" to the language.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Thank you. Well, my mind hasn’t completely lost I 😁

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard